I asked this in Google's chromium-discuss list, and nobody replied. I thought this group might have someone who can help. My original post:

Persistent values stored in opener.[variable]?

How can I determine what Chrome considers the current page's 'opener'? In all other browsers, assigning a value to a javascript variable declared in the page that opened the current page (if the opening page stays open in the background) is simply a matter of assigning a new value to "opener.[variable]", but that doesn't seem to work in Chrome. Is there a workaround?

At first I thought that Chrome just wasn't updating variables, but if the page element updates that page's variable, no problem. If the code climbs up the DOM even one level, the data gets lost. Any ideas why? Or for a workaround?

This stuff is at bonfils.org/courseware. The intra-DOM data-passing takes place in the laboratory test ordering. In other browsers, anyway...

But I don't think anyone will need to see what I'm doing to answer the question: how can I read/write a variable in another page open in the same tab in Chrome?

OK, on further testing, I discovered that the failure of the DOM techniques I used was not happening consistently. Perhaps it's the anti-phishing setting. I'll test further.

OK, on further testing, I discovered that the failure of the DOM techniques I used was not happening consistently. Perhaps it's the anti-phishing setting. I'll test further.

I did test further, and it seems that the DOM is different for pages fetched via the file:// protocol as opposed to pages fetched via http://. I've also been comparing what comes out of Firebug/Firefox and Javascript Console/Chrome.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.