Can anyone tell me how should I handle this error?

FATAL ERROR.
Your SAPI for PHP is configured as CGI.
ArbitroWeb is unable to work in this environment.
Please switch to a non-CGI approach.
If you are using Apache as your web server, consider modifying your httpd.conf to switch from using ScriptAlias and Action to using LoadModule.

Eduard,

ArbitroWeb is a PHP application.

PHP runs under Apache in one of two ways; as an Apache Module or as a CGI Binary.

Some applications contain features that make them specific to one or other of these options. It would appear that ArbitroWeb is one such application.

Web hosting services generally don't give you the choice of PHP config (at least not at this level). They run either the Module of the CGI (I think most run the Module).

For a server under your control (eg. your desktop computer used as a development server) you can choose which version to install (I'm not sure about XAMPP, cos I've never installed Apache that way). It's probably easier to make a second installation rather than trying to modify an existing one.

I think I'm right in saying you can have one copy of Apache serving on one port and another copy on another port simulataneously (again I've never done it - you'll need to do some background reading). If so, then you will be able to attach both servers to the same source tree and determine which server you retreive pages from by specifying the port number in urls (which are of the general form protocol://hostname:port/pathname?search#hash ). In a standard Apache install, the default port for HTTP is 80 and it doesn't appear in most URLs. It's standard practise to use port 8080 for a second server.

Good news is that with relative URLs in your web pages, the browser will always attach the same port number as the current page in the same way it attaches same protocol, hostname, etc. Thus, your source reamins blissfully unaware of how it is being served and you (as an end user of your own files) only need specify port number once (in the browser's address bar) when you first visit the site you're developing (then bookmark it for future sessions).

Hope this helps.

Airshow

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.