Hi there, please help. I have a page that creates a simple combobox with items from the first field in my mysql db.

<html>
<head><title>Customer</title></head>
<body>
<div class="dbconnect.php">
<?php include("includes/dbconnect.php");?>
</div>
<?php
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM customers ORDER BY company");
echo"<form action='customer.php' method='POST'>
<select name='company'>\n";

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
extract($row);
echo "<option value='$company'>$company\n";
}

echo "</select>\n";

echo "<input type='submit' value='View'>

</form>\n";

?>

Next, I output the data, that is in the row of the item selected in the combobox, into a table on the same page

</head>
<body>
<div class="dbconnect.php">
    <?php include("includes/dbconnect.php");?>
    </div>

<?php

foreach ($_POST as $field => $value)
{

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM customers
WHERE company ='$value'");

echo "<table border='1'>
<tr>
<th>Company</th>
<th>Contact Person</th>
</tr>";
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  	echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['company'] . "</td>";
	echo "</tr>";

echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['contact_person'] . "</td>";
	echo "</tr>";

echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['cellnum'] . "</td>";
	echo "</tr>";

echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['telnum'] . "</td>";
	echo "</tr>";

}

echo "</table>";

}

I now want to edit the info that is in the table. The following code just displays the first row of the db table. How do I get it to display the one that is in the table?

<body>";

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM customers");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
?>
<form action="processCustomerform.php" method="post">
Company: <input type="text" border ="3" name="company" value="<?php echo $row['company'];?>" /><br/>
Contact Person: <input type="text" name="contact_person" value="<?php echo $row['contact_person'];?>"/><br/>
Cell: <input type="text" border ="0" name="cellnum" value="<?php echo $row['cellnum'];?>"/><br/>
Tel: <input type="text" name="telnum" value="<?php echo $row['telnum'];?>"/><br/>
Fax: <input type="text" border ="0" name="faxnum" value="<?php echo $row['faxnum'];?>"/><br/>
Email: <input type="text" name="email" value="<?php echo $row['email'];?>"/><br/>
<input type="submit" />
</form>

</body>
Member Avatar for diafol

You need the id value of the primary key for the table. Your customers table should have an PK field (usually called id). Anyway

Your frst SQL is wasteful:

"SELECT * FROM customers ORDER BY company"

should be

"SELECT company FROM customers ORDER BY company"

The question is - is it possible to have more than one customer form any particular company? If so, your second and third files will need to change. Otherwise, just paste the form below the second file - no need to go to a different page for edit? That way you get the variables from the second SQL for your form.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.