I'm doing a project and would like to hear your opinions.
I want to make Integrated library system and I want to have these folders

1. classes - where all classes will be stored
2. templates - where all templates will be stored
3. admin - where admin files will reside

Now is that a good organisation? if not what would you suggest? Also is MVC a good way to go for such project? If yes any good link that teaches from practical perspective? and Last one is it good to make database singleton or make it base class that all other classes that will access database extends?

Thanks buddies!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

A library system seems perfect for OOP to me. I've been using just templaters recently (poor man's MVC). Dir structure seems fine. I've been using RainTPL, but they've just brought out rain framework (http://www.rainframework.com/), which I haven't used. I don't need the complexity. I'd say a good MVC needs bags of documentation and examples.

Singleton / Base - need more info, how complex will your project become?

A library system seems perfect for OOP to me.

I see!

I've been using just templaters recently (poor man's MVC).

So you suggest I use templaters than using my own?

Dir structure seems fine. I've been using RainTPL, but they've just brought out rain framework (http://www.rainframework.com/), which I haven't used.

I hope they will not kill RainTPL

I don't need the complexity. I'd say a good MVC needs bags of documentation and examples.

So you say I avoid MVC?

Singleton / Base - need more info, how complex will your project become?

Not so complex. I want to have something basic first, then I can see the possibility of making it more complex in future (In case I get spare time!)

Thanks for taking time to answer!

Member Avatar for diafol

Not saying avoid MVC. Each framework has its own little foibles. I tend to use my own pseudo-MVC with a templater, but that's because I'm not a massive MVC fan Each to his own. I said perfect for OOP - but that, like Singleton/Base will come down to the complexity of the whole thing. I can't really offer advice on this as I tend to shy away from deep OOP as I don't understand it and frankly, I doubt I have the intellect to ever get to grips with it.

I can't really offer advice on this as I tend to shy away from deep OOP as I don't understand it and frankly, I doubt I have the intellect to ever get to grips with it.

:)

Thanks,
Let me work on that and google about singleton thing.
I will mark it solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.