Member Avatar for diafol

Hi all, been dipping my toe into OOP and am getting on OK, but I'm hitting a bit of a wall with a current project.

classes:
db (a PDO extended class)
User
Timetable

The db is just a few shorthand ways of running PDO
The User is just for handling the current user's details, e.g. profile etc.
The Timetable is for showing the user's current timetable (and a few other things)

I've currently got this thing going on in my page:

include("includes/config.php");
include("class/class.DB.php");
include("class/class.User.php");
include("class/class.Timetable.php");

$db = new db($config['db']);
$u = new User($db);
$t = new Timetable($db,$u);

where I pass the db object to both user and timetable and pass the user object to the timetable. Is this the best way to do things?

In my timetable constructor I have this:

$this->db = (object) $db;
$this->user = (object) $u;

But if I want to use the user's 'detail' property in the timetable class, I have to make $detail public - protected won't work. Does protected only work for child classes? If so, must I make these public? Don't like the idea of that.

in user class:

public $detail;

to use it thus, in timetable (example):

$where = ($this->user->detail['rights'] > 7) ? "" : " WHERE s.staff_id = {$this->user->detail['staff_id']}";

I'm still a little off with abstract classes and interfaces, so apologies if I need to do something with those - I'm still learning.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The way you describe it, it sounds like the timetable should be a part of the user.

And yes, protected can be accessed only by ancestors and descendants.

Member Avatar for diafol
The way you describe it, it sounds like the timetable should be a part of the user.

And yes, protected can be accessed only by ancestors and descendants.

Ok - protected now makes sense.
When you say timetable should be part of user, do you mean as a property?
Thinking about it, that does sound sensible.
Thanks pritaeas.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.