Can anyone see why my variable $unit_price isn't updating (in fact it isn't even being applied to the session variable) in this code (it must be something simple but I can't see it and is driving me mad). I have tested the posted data and it is being sent through and all other posted variables are being added to the session.

Please note that this is also using jQuery and Ajax.

My form:

<form method="#" class="cart">  
<input type="hidden" name="item_id" value="prods_<?php echo $product['prodid'];?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="unit_price" value="<?php echo $product['prod_price'];?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="<?php echo $product['prod_name'];?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="item_qty" value="1"/>
<input type="hidden" name="item_url" value="https://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-products.php?prod_id=<?php echo $product['prodid']; ?>/"/>
 <input type="submit" class="rounded-buttons" name="add_to_bag" value="Add to Bag" />
<a href="diesel-products.php?prod_id=<?php echo $product['prodid']; ?>/"><input type="button" class="rounded-buttons" name="view" value="View" /></a>
										 </form>

My jQuery / Ajax:

$('.cart').submit(function (e) {
		e.preventDefault();
		// validate form
		$.ajax({
			cache: false,
			url: 'inc/shopping_bag.php',
			data: $('form.cart').serialize() + '&action=send',
			type: 'POST',
			success: function(html) {
				$('#shopping-bag p').html(html);
			}
		});
	});

My PHP (sorry it's a bit long):

<?php
require_once("../includes/config.php");

//Check if the basket array exists or not
if (!is_array($_SESSION['basket']))
{
	$_SESSION['basket']=array();
}

if (!empty($_POST['item_id'])) {
$item_id=$_POST['item_id'];
}

$item_qty=ceil($_POST['item_qty']); // CEIL is to stop partial quantities (0.01 etc)
$unit_price=$_POST['unit_price'];
$item_name = $_POST['item_name'];
$item_url = $_POST['item_url'];

$match=0;

$count=0;

if($item_qty>0)
{
	//Where ids match, add the qty to the existing qty
	if (is_array($_SESSION['basket']))
	{
		foreach ($_SESSION['basket'] as $array)
		{
			if ($array['item_id']==$item_id)
			{
				$match=1;
				$array['item_qty']+=$item_qty;
				$_SESSION['basket'][$count]=$array;
			}
			$count++;

}
	}

//If we did not find a match, add the item to the array
	if ($match==0)
	{
		$array=array();
		$array['item_id']=$item_id;
		$array['item_qty']=$item_qty;
		$array['unit_price']=$unit_price;
		$array['item_name']=$item_name;
		$array['item_url']=$item_url;

//Add to the existing basket contents
		$_SESSION['basket'][]=$array;
	}
}	

if (is_array($_SESSION['basket']))
{
	$total=0;
	$totalItems=0;

foreach ($_SESSION['basket'] as $array)
	{
		$totalItems+=$array['item_qty'];

$cost=$array['item_qty']*$array['unit_price'];
		$total+=$cost;

}
	echo 'Shopping Bag<br>'.$totalItems.' Items<br />&pound;'.sprintf("%01.2f", $total);
}
else {

echo 'Shopping Bag<br>0 Items<br />&pound;0.00';

}

?>

Can anyone see what is wrong (only a problem with the unit_price)??

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Are you including the dollar sign ($) in your price? If so make sure you escape it \$ or ASCII it

No, no dollar sign (i am not American so wouldn't be anyway :) ) or any others for that matter just (for example) 1.99

if you var_dump($unit_price) what does it give you?

If I var_dump, I get the price

Your sprintf("%01.2f", $total) are you just trying to print out the total with two decimals?

Yes but the price is not even being set in the session (before it even gets to the returned output) which is why it really isn't making any sense to me.

OK I don't know what I have done but I did change the class name of the form and now amounts are being added. However they are strange amounts so I will now have to look into this new problem - oh well.

Yeah I've looked over the PHP code several times and nothing is jumping out at me as being wrong. Only suggestion I would have is to var_dump($_SESSION) as maybe something isn't getting set as you expected it to.

I have found the problem, it is with my jQuery. Basically whichever product I select to add to the basket, it seems to be going to the last form on the page (i.e. the last product) and submitting that data instead and as some of these don't have prices that is why no price was being added.

I am now trying to resolve the problem with the incorrect item details being submitted but as this issue is resolved I will mark as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.