Hi guys. Was wondering could anyone help me here. What I am trying to do is to generate a number for a document upon selection. The number can't be random. As an example I mean:

User request's 'Document X', Document X appears on screen and at the top of the document it has 'Document X Number: 00123'

So what I would like it to do is that when the user selects a document from the main menu, the document appears and there is an associated number with that document that appears in a text field. Is there any way to implement a way to do something like this? I have the document appearing and it submits fine etc but now I would like to be able to associate a number with a document if possible.

Thanks if anyone can help

Sorry the number can be random. One problem I think may occur is that there is different documents for the user's to choose from so wonder how would that affect the number?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.