Hi everyone,
Ok, Im new to the forum so I hope I've placed the question in the right place, and here it is :

I am developing a silverlight application that uses Bing Maps. The Idea behind the application is that to help land owners (farmers , agronomy businessmen) visualize, sort and basically organize their land. The program does the following:
It reades some data from a database (mssql 2008 R2) and draws the land in mappolygons. The data for the polygons in the database is geometry type.
The thing is that I have to draw many polygons (over 3000 in half of the cases ) and they have a bing number of points. This makes the performance go Really bad. ( I forgot to mention that I use a service to read and write from the database. )
I've looked for suggestions over the internet and I tried a few, yet I did not solve my problem.
The most commonly proposed suggestion is to use custom tile layers. So I've decided to create a maptilelayer and add it to the map. Sadly , I find the custom layer really bad in accuracy (the problem really can be in me), but when I zoom and move arround it doesnt behave like the original map layers from bing. Furthermore I did not find I way to put the Shapes (mappolygons) to the tile layer , ( this may be because I realize that the purpose of the Tile layer is not to hold shapes but to be visualized , but I can be mistaken again - I am not really fully aware of the arhitecture of the map and tile layers ) so that didnt work for me.
I've also read somewhere that you can make a custom tile layer server and thus the geometry wont be sent to the bing server therefore no waiting for calculations and for response - which I think is the reason for the performance issue, yet I find this way over my league.
One of the things I do that gives results is to run the reduce algorithm (douglas and peucker if I'm not mistaken) on the geometry in the database. It reduces the number of points that draw the polygons, but it is really not enough. The polygons are many , they consist of many points, and some of them are really small scale , meaning there are polygons not much larger than buildings.
I really hope that there is a way to drastically improve the performance of the application.
Thank you for the time, I would really appriciate if there is a solution or a workaround of my problem. I apologise if I haven't included all the neccessery information.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I had similar issues and switched to the javascript library (you can see an example here at my health map). I'm not sure if you will have better luck, since it sounds like you are doing a fair amount of layering, but it might be worth a quick try / demo.

May I ask how many points and objects are that ? Because with arround 800 - 900 polygons, and avarage of 50 points for a polygon (usually quite more but lets say 50) it behaves relatively well. Meaning that it has some lag and it slows sometimes, but other than that it works fine. However that is about the limit , any more and it starts slowing more and more.

Anyone with ideas :S ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.