Hi guys, i want to create a database application to reside on a cd. My challenge is what application should I use to develop the front end. The client wil prefer if it is auto-run and not requiring installation which I'm not sure is possible. Someone said the options are Javascript (though I think its impossible to connect Javascript to a database), Macromedia Dierctor or VISUAL Basic. I need a solution to this. Any advice? Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

This isn't an HTML/Javascript/CSS question, though, such a project could have HTML elements.

You're right, Web-browser Javascript doesn't interact with databases. Other products, though, could include their own JavaScript engine (for example. Adobe Acrobat has a Javascript parser and DOM).

Many professionals use Director. Many also author HTML, with embedded Flash as needed.

ok, thanks for the information, but i need a solution. how can i do this?

As I said:

Many professionals use Director. Many also author HTML, with embedded Flash as needed.

As I said:

I guess that means Director can do it. But can the output of a director program run as a standalone?
Thanks

VB won't run standalone either. You'd need the VB runtimes installed in order for it to work.

VB won't run standalone either. You'd need the VB runtimes installed in order for it to work.

I'm talking about the finished product here. Once packaged and deployed in .exe, it will install itself onto any system without need for its native environment.

Your first post said you wanted your application to "reside on CD". That's different than creating a product that can "install itself onto any system...".

EVERY application requires something to run it. For example, C# and VB.NET programs need the .NET Framework. HTML/JavaScript/CSS need a browser, Visual Basic 6 needs a vbrun dll, and yep, Director/Flash programs need a "player" application.

If you want to create an interactive CD/DVD, then yes, Director is your product. If you want to create a stand-alone application with a CD-based installer, then I suggest using the C# language.

However, neither of these have much to do with HTML/Javascript/CSS, so this thread is off-topic.

Your first post said you wanted your application to "reside on CD". That's different than creating a product that can "install itself onto any system...".

EVERY application requires something to run it. For example, C# and VB.NET programs need the .NET Framework. HTML/JavaScript/CSS need a browser, Visual Basic 6 needs a vbrun dll, and yep, Director/Flash programs need a "player" application.

If you want to create an interactive CD/DVD, then yes, Director is your product. If you want to create a stand-alone application with a CD-based installer, then I suggest using the C# language.

However, neither of these have much to do with HTML/Javascript/CSS, so this thread is off-topic.

Thanks, sorry for posting this thread here. I wasnt sure where to post, besides I thought jacascript would be the solution. Anyways I think I'll go for Director, but can it integrate with a database?

Cheers

A quick search reveals this technote.

ok, i guess i'll have to explore the functionalities of Director then

Cheers

Unfortunately, Macromedia Director though can solve this problem isn't a popular development tool as I have discovered. Apart from Macromedia's site, there's hardly any other website where one can get resources to help one learn how to use the tool. And even when you get to these sites, there's no mention of connecting a database Xtra to Director. Can anyone help me out in this regard by pointing out where I should check?
Cheers

"Director" is indeed the industry-standard application for CD, DVD, or kiosk-type interactive applications.

I just don't know what else we can tell you! There isn't a magic-bullet application that will allow you to create elaborate, rich-media, data-driven presentations based on clicking-through a few wizards.

Such work is hard, and that's why such applications are developed by skilled, trained, creative professionals. If you're unwilling/unable to undertake this yourself, you might consider hiring someone to do this for you. PM me if you're interested, and I can refer you to a few.

"Director" is indeed the industry-standard application for CD, DVD, or kiosk-type interactive applications.

I just don't know what else we can tell you! There isn't a magic-bullet application that will allow you to create elaborate, rich-media, data-driven presentations based on clicking-through a few wizards.

Such work is hard, and that's why such applications are developed by skilled, trained, creative professionals. If you're unwilling/unable to undertake this yourself, you might consider hiring someone to do this for you. PM me if you're interested, and I can refer you to a few.

Creative skilled and trained professionals were of course newbies once during their careers. They had to learn to use the tools which they use to develop their solutions now. I only asked for direction as to how to get resources on Director. I didnt say I could nt face the task of learning the tool. I don't think there is anything wrong in asking to be pointed to sites where I will get help on this particular subject.

Cheers!

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with asking, but please ask here.

Dear moderator,

Thanks for your help, but can you help me move this thread to the Graphics & Multimedia forum. I'll really appreciate it.

Cheers.

You can just start another thread there; this one doesn't contain much of value, other than pointing you to Director. It also isn't clear what you're trying to create: a CD-based application, or a desktop application, a multimedia application, etc.

So my advice is we close this thread, and that you post a clearer description of your project in the appropriate forum.

You can just start another thread there; this one doesn't contain much of value, other than pointing you to Director. It also isn't clear what you're trying to create: a CD-based application, or a desktop application, a multimedia application, etc.

So my advice is we close this thread, and that you post a clearer description of your project in the appropriate forum.

I think we should just that immediatel so I can then restart this thread appropriately like you have suggested.

Thanks and Cheers!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.