Member Avatar for Rahul47

Hello folks,
I am completely new to php. I wish to develop php programs and execute them. What should I do to run php programs using Apache Web Server Under Windows ?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Welcome to PHP.

Firstly get yourself an IDE, there are many threads on this forum dicussing the pros and cons of different ones. Have a play with them, and find one you are comfortable with.

Either go down the route of installing Apache & MySQL, or install XAMPP or WAMPP. Very straight forward to use. I am on a windows/linux dual boot system and opted for XAMPP (Apache Friends).

XAMPP under windows can be installed with Apache & MySQL as services, although the current model does have a glitch in it. So avoid this. All this means is you will manually have to start MySQL and Apache Server.

Find some easy tutorials to start with so you get a basic understanding. Avoid PHP & MySQL, as MySQL is depreciated. Either opt for MySQLi (good for both types of coding), or opt for PDO (OOP only).

Happy coding :):)

Member Avatar for diafol

I'd advise installing a stack - as linked to by Hearth. This should give you:

• Apache (don't use IIS if you can avoid it)
  • MySQL and phpMyAdmin
  • php

Possibly other bits and bobs like Perl, OpenSSL, Filezilla Server, Mail Server (e.g. Mercury).
I usually update from XAMPP, but whichever package you decide upon, ensure that you have the latest stable version of php. Some functions just refuse to work in older versions - Windows especially.

If you intend on using MySQL, I'd advise getting a GUI - phpMyAdmin is OK, but it's very cumbersome. A good one can be found on SQLyog Community version: https://code.google.com/p/sqlyog/downloads/list

BTW, if you're experienced with installing from binaries and have the patience, then you could install everything manually, perhaps no need for a package.

same problem i also have i confiq the iis but i change the port 80 to 81 and this problem i solve it
but i have still a problem when I run localhost ....php file I got a message

same problem i also have i confiq the iis but i change the port 80 to 81 and this problem i solve it
but i have still a problem when I run localhost ....php file I got a message

I installed WAMP and it runs smooth . .

Member Avatar for diafol

Ok, we solved Rahul?

Ok, we solved Rahul?

Yeap, thanx a ton.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.