Hi Folks,

I have a web application developed in Classic ASP. After the user successfully logs in, the "main page" of the application stays on the screen (all other functions are done in DHTML/CSS pop up windows). The main page contents are updated with jQuery, so the page never physically refreshes, but the first lines of code on the page are:

<%
Response.Expires = 0
Response.CacheControl = "No-cache"
Response.AddHeader "pragma","no-cache"
session.Timeout = 540
%>

That session timeout should last 9 hours. But every once in a while, when a user clicks on a function (which pops up a window and checkes if the session is still valid) says the the session expired. So they have to log off and back on, kind of a pain.

On the server I have IIS (Server 2003 SP2) configured so that folder is an application, with the following settings:
Enable Session State (checked) = 540
Enable Buffering (checked)

I have it assigned to it's own application pool, with these settings:
Recycle Worker Process (checked) = 1740 (not really sure what this does)
Shutdown work processes after being idle (unchecked)

Can anyone suggest why the sessions sometimes end? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I understand the time breakdown in minutes. I don't understand why the user sessions timeout, sometimes within an hour, for no clear reason.

I think I will disable the recycling process of the application pool and see what happens. At least then I know it's not the pool recycling causing the session timeout.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.