Hello!
So, I see you need help... or maybe you just fancy a nice little read. Either way, this is here for a reason.

When you post code on DaniWeb, it can be frustrating waiting for a reply (trust me, I've been there!) — so... here are some tips that I recommend you follow in order to get a super fast response (well, as fast as we forumers go):

--- PLEASE SEE HERE: https://www.daniweb.com/web-development/php/threads/435023/read-this-before-posting-a-question BEFORE READING THIS
--- This might contain a few of the post above, but these are critical to you getting faster help.

1. Correctly indent your code — It's not fun reading code that isn't indented correctly. Please make sure you have indented correctly.
  2. Tell us what your problem is — trust me, there's been a good few people who come here, post their code, put the title as "help me" — and then they don't state the problem.
  3. Tell us what the expected output is — as in, if you write echo "Hello, World!"; — it should say "Hello World"
  4. Tell us what the actual output is — basically, tell us what you see. Do you see an error? If so, what one?
  5. Tell us any tutoials you might have followed — we might be able to tell you if the tutorial was followed incorrectly or the tutorial is missing some information.
  6. Don't use text talk — we're somewhat formal here, although we're friendly, it's nice to make your information readable.

This post will possibly be updated in the near future (possibly as a reply). Feel free to suggest any pointers.

almostbob commented: well done +13

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I look for all of the above and these as my own personal rules (some are maybe redundant)

1. Ask for help rather than demanding for help.

2. Asking us to write the codes for you is a big NO! and another NO!. We can provide one if we feel like writing one for you.

3. Trim those newbie pride of yours. "I am a seasond developer and I know what is going on." kind of statements will not get fast response. The reason is simple. If you truly know what is going on, then what in the world you are needing help. Where I'm coming from, when we assumed the title of a PHP developer, we are it and the buck stops right in front of us. We solve our own misery by intensive research. Plus, you might intimidate new developers who might know the best anwser to your question.

4. Be thankful and be respectful to volunteers. Sometimes, a little dub of grease can get volunteers inspired and may give you more than what you asked for. If this your case, considered it one of your luckiest day.

5. Do not post codes that are not relevant to the problem. Some members will post the entire application source codes.

6. Do not ask questions about your school project 5 days before the deadline. Waisting the entire semester until 5 days before it ends does not make sense to me. You need to try a little harder. It is your grade and not ours.

7. If you are a professor, please do not send any private messages to the volunteer helping your students. If you teach them well, you won't see them here on Daniweb.com. Of course, there are many exemptions to this rule.

8. I give high regards to the sponsors, because these are the people who believe in helping this community through donation.

commented: Well said. +5
commented: Agreed 100%. +2

I assume that you don't help past donors as much as new donors. But yeah, good points! ^^

I assume that you don't help past donors as much as new donors. But yeah, good points! ^^

I do help all regardless. However, I must confess that most of the time my enthusiasm to help is more intense with the donors, but I can also feel very lazy some of the time. Other than my personal preferences, the quality of help is pretty much the same. I am more concern of the quality of help I can provide.

@diafol — I put the link in my post straight after posting it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.