https://jsfiddle.net/yr2r4Ldj/4/

I've tried 5 different solutions, FIVE of them, and NONE of them work.
I hear Microsoft laughing ever so evily around the corner while grinding hands against one another like a psychopath. Does Microsoft hate developers or something?
THEIR OWN FILTERS, DON'T WORK.
WHY PROVIDE IMPLEMENTATION OF SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T WORK?!?
Is there no way to create something familiar to text-shadow in Internet Explorer 9?
I was caught surprized that box-shadow is actually supported at Internet Explorer 9. But text-shadow, nah, who would need tinted text from bright background, when you can give shadow to a block, aren't I right?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

That's not good. Where did you find this was supported?

I spastically Googled it up to the 3rd page, then I just gave up because sites because extremely irrelevant or it was similiar solution. I believe 3 of them are rip-off from SO.

Thanks for trying to research it. I'm growing fond of the caniuse.com when it comes to features across browsers. But once in a while you will run into folk that are chasing the elusive and maybe mythical "my web page must work across all browsers." The more I know, the less hopeful I can make such a site. Simple sites? Sure, but get fancy and it's a house of dirty cards.

But once in a while you will run into folk that are chasing the elusive and maybe mythical "my web page must work across all browsers."

It actually must work on IE 9+, any Opera/Chrome/Firefox/Safari user has enough brain to update their damn browser to one that supports CSS 3.

For every 10x Internet Explorer 10 users, there's 1x Internet Explorer 9 user. According to caniuse.com. My website does work perfectly with IE 9, except for that shadow.

Also, what's wrong with having dreams Harold?

I can't guess if the loss of shadow is a show stopper. I will share in one case the demand was that it must be just so. And the fix was rather awful IMO but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

So instead of text we crafted an image with the text in the image that was pixel perfect. Works but not easy to update.

Look into feature detection with Modernizr or the likes, create a decent fallback solution and move on!

But I don't need to detect if it is supported or not, I KNOW that it's not supported, and the "create a decent fallback solution" is the issue here, there's no fallback!

So instead of text we crafted an image with the text in the image that was pixel perfect. Works but not easy to update.

Nah, there's administration panel and user is able to add news items. Also, the shadow is not only for static elements, it's for regular text as well, and that text can change. I could run it through PHP render engine and dynamically create it, but then it would be downloading 40 pretty sizable items... yea, not everybody has 1000Gbps network :)

Would the text then be unreadable without the text shadow?

But I don't need to detect if it is supported or not, I KNOW that it's not supported

That's not what it's for. You can create more easily and more efficient a fallback solution with Modernizr for all the old browsers that don't support it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.