What are the biggest challenges faced by Ecommerce websites & Business at now?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

In the USA, that would be Amazon.

The people I know went with it and put their products up on Amazon.

How is putting your products on Amazon a challenge?

I think you can sell direct to consumer with your own eCommerce store, but additionally selling through Amazon is a great way to make yourself available and market yourself to a wider audience who otherwise wouldn’t have found you.

It also eliminates a lot of the hassle of dealing with your own eCommerce shop in terms of handling credit card processing, etc. Of course, you want to be able to sell direct as well so you don’t have to give Amazon such a hefty cut.

commented: When folk ask me about selling their stuff, most try it with their own site. There's resistance to "put it on Amazon." +17

There’s resistance because people, IMHO, are shortsighted and just see it as giving a cut of the top line away to a behemoth, and giving up control of their product.

However, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em, right? Amazon is not going anywhere. Amazon is where all the customers are. Yes, you should have your own eCommerce store as well, but you’re leaving a lot of money on the table by not partnering with Amazon as well.

My view is more sales is better than few sales. I have a much longer story about the Olive Oil company my mother was HR at long ago.

They wanted an ecommerce site, I proposed going with godaddy so they would be up in running in a week or two. Another consultant said "Oh no, you need a full custom site."

4 years later their site had never come up. Over 100 thousand invested (much more but they didn't want to say.) Finally the owner had enough, called another consultant that said "godaddy" and the site was up and running about 2 weeks later. Today they are also on Amazon with their own site just a few percent of total sales.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.