Hi,

I'm trying to write a form that has required fields. When the form is filled out with the required fields missing, I'm trying to have a pop-up that tells them what is missing and then cancels the submission of the form.

At the moment I have the function below linked into the the Submit button like so: <submit onClick="validateForm()">

function validateForm(){
    var form_object = document.forms.helpform;
        if(form_object.elements.Name.value == ''){
        alert('Please enter your name.');
        return false;
    } else if(form_object.elements.Email.value == ''){
        alert('Please enter your email address');
        return false;
    } else if(form_object.elements.Mobile.value == ''){
        alert('Please enter your mobile phone number');
        return false;
    } else if(form_object.elements.Description.value == ''){
        alert('Please enter a description of what you would like us to help you with.');
        return false;
    }
    return true;
}

I have the function in the the head of the document.

The pop-ups work fine, but it doesn't cancel the form from submitting. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

use this code

<form onSubmit="return validateForm()">

That didn't seem to work. The code works, except that it doesn't stop the form submission process. Does anyone know of any code that would stop the current action or anything like that. I know a little bit of javascript, but I'm still on the learning curve.

That should work. You need to return either true or false, and call the function using the "return" keyword as vishesh has shown. He's missing the terminal semicolon, but it should still work. Also, you can't code both an "onsubmit" for the form AND "onclick" on the submit button. Your code would run twice. Pick a single event handler, use the "return" keyword, and make sure each code path in your function returns either "true" or "false".

Problem solved. Thanks guys

Brilliant. This is just what I needed. Thanks guys. All I needed was a return in my onClick.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.