Hi,
After letting it go a few months ago, I'm back to learning PHP. At the moment I use it on WindowsXP with Apache and MySql.
I dont want to reinstall my computer but want to go the whole LAMP way by using Linux. So got myself a cheapish laptop for this purpose.

Just a bit confused what Linux to use. A few months ago I downloaded and installed Fedora Core, and ended up reinstalling windows because it was such a hassle with drives and applications.

But will go with what you guys suggest. All I will use this computer for is LAMP. So dont care about no fance user interface. Just want to be able to develop using xhtml, css, php, mysql, etc.

The main reason I do this is for good experience with this technologies (.net is NOT popular here in China, but I can get a new job every day if I know LAMP, or even just PHP!). Please keep this in mind when making suggestions....what is best to use to get some good experience.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Member Avatar for Rhyan

Hi,
After letting it go a few months ago, I'm back to learning PHP. At the moment I use it on WindowsXP with Apache and MySql.
I dont want to reinstall my computer but want to go the whole LAMP way by using Linux. So got myself a cheapish laptop for this purpose.

Just a bit confused what Linux to use. A few months ago I downloaded and installed Fedora Core, and ended up reinstalling windows because it was such a hassle with drives and applications.

But will go with what you guys suggest. All I will use this computer for is LAMP. So dont care about no fance user interface. Just want to be able to develop using xhtml, css, php, mysql, etc.

The main reason I do this is for good experience with this technologies (.net is NOT popular here in China, but I can get a new job every day if I know LAMP, or even just PHP!). Please keep this in mind when making suggestions....what is best to use to get some good experience.

Hi there!
Whatever linux forum you visit, you will end up in numerous pro-s and against this or that linux distribution. This is up to you to decide which one suits you the most.
In general - these are the following guides for your selection:

1. Fedora Core - This is the offspring of Red Hat linux, and red hat is the "class and style" in linux world. Another thing is that the rpm-way of installation a software is a Red Hat linux way to do something like windows installers. A lot of other distributions started using RPM pachkages, however, the first to do it were the red hat / fedora guys. Some people say - learn Red Hat and you can say you know linux well.

2. SuSe Linux community distro - Suse once was a good distribution, now owned by Novel. There are a lot of people working there and try to make things more user-friendly and follow the Microsoft way. Novel and MSoft joined in developing some sort of cross/platform functionalities, virtualization or stuff like that, and now Novel are not really appreciated by the Linux world, as they are expected to become the next OS Giant as MS. Still - if you don''t care about the open-soruce ideology, their suse releases are quite stable and really easy to use, as they have a lot of updates, a lot of on-line repositories for updates, etc. Still their directory structure is quite messy, and you will have to learn this and that about the linux wordl if you want to make the thing work OK.

3. Debian and all debian derivatives like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. This is one of the most stable professional-style free distros. The Ubuntu, Kubuntu are the same os, however with different GUI - ubuntu uses gnome, the Kubuntu uses KDE. Debian distros themselves claim to be really stable and are used in a lot of on-line servers. But... I think that they do not have a lot of drivers for laptops, mobile devices etc.

These are my TOP 3 proposals. In my opinion you will start easier with linux and Apache, Mysql, PHP setups in SuSE - a lot of GUI-enabled setups there. Also Suse claims to have support for most mobile computers. Still - best for you to try it on your own.

Ubuntu has a live cd - you run it, it boots the os from the DVD, if you like the looks of it - you just click the setup icon on the desctop, and it gets going with the installation.

Good luck...

Member Avatar for Rhyan

Hi,

Hi there!
Whatever linux forum you visit, you will end up in numerous pro-s and against this or that linux distribution. This is up to you to decide which one suits you the most.
In general - these are the following guides for your selection:

1. Fedora Core - This is the offspring of Red Hat linux, and red hat is the "class and style" in linux world. Another thing is that the rpm-way of installation a software is a Red Hat linux way to do something like windows installers. A lot of other distributions started using RPM pachkages, however, the first to do it were the red hat / fedora guys. Some people say - learn Red Hat and you can say you know linux well.

2. SuSe Linux community distro - Suse once was a good distribution, now owned by Novel. There are a lot of people working there and try to make things more user-friendly and follow the Microsoft way. Novel and MSoft joined in developing some sort of cross/platform functionalities, virtualization or stuff like that, and now Novel are not really appreciated by the Linux world, as they are expected to become the next OS Giant as MS. Still - if you don''t care about the open-soruce ideology, their suse releases are quite stable and really easy to use, as they have a lot of updates, a lot of on-line repositories for updates, etc. Still their directory structure is quite messy, and you will have to learn this and that about the linux wordl if you want to make the thing work OK.

3. Debian and all debian derivatives like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. This is one of the most stable professional-style free distros. The Ubuntu, Kubuntu are the same os, however with different GUI - ubuntu uses gnome, the Kubuntu uses KDE. Debian distros themselves claim to be really stable and are used in a lot of on-line servers. But... I think that they do not have a lot of drivers for laptops, mobile devices etc.

These are my TOP 3 proposals. In my opinion you will start easier with linux and Apache, Mysql, PHP setups in SuSE - a lot of GUI-enabled setups there. Also Suse claims to have support for most mobile computers. Still - best for you to try it on your own.

Ubuntu has a live cd - you run it, it boots the os from the DVD, if you like the looks of it - you just click the setup icon on the desctop, and it gets going with the installation.

Good luck...

you can actually download a verasion of ubuntu with apache, mysql, php configured and ready to go out of the box

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice guys.
I decided to install a new hard drive rather, and start off with red hat in a dual boot configuration, and then also look at the other options available.
No idea where to get legal software here in Beijing, but sure I can pick it up at landao. 30 rmb (4usd) for winxp over the counter! :-/

Hi,
OK, I got me Red Hat Linux 9 (shrike or something?)
Installed it this morning before work and the laptop (oldish thinkpad) seems to be just fine (did not choose dual boot).

Now my next question. Until now, I used pspad to write code. Not so "unfriendly" like notepad.

So, I want to know, what is the most common code editor used "out there"?

I heard ppl talk aobut emacs before, and allthough I only had a quick look to see what RH installed, I saw emacs there. did not open it though.

RH9 is a bit old for server use (security holes)

Well, it's a start. Remember I just set this up on an old laptop for training purposes only.

And it look a lot better than my desktop looked when I installed the latest Fedora Core at the time on it.

So, back to my question....

if you want an RPM distro, leave redhat and fedora alone and use centos. it's a free version of the actuall redhat enterprise linux. excellent for lamp, and very well documented everywhere, including howtoforge.com

Member Avatar for Rhyan

Hi,
OK, I got me Red Hat Linux 9 (shrike or something?)
Installed it this morning before work and the laptop (oldish thinkpad) seems to be just fine (did not choose dual boot).

Now my next question. Until now, I used pspad to write code. Not so "unfriendly" like notepad.

So, I want to know, what is the most common code editor used "out there"?

I heard ppl talk aobut emacs before, and allthough I only had a quick look to see what RH installed, I saw emacs there. did not open it though.

If I am not mistaking any text editor on linux supports code locoring, still not 100% shure.
You can check Amaya http://www.w3.org/Amaya/ a free writer for almost any kind of platform.

Good luck.

vi doesnt

eclipse
some say it's even better than VS

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.