Ok here it goes i was wondering if anyone here knew of all the specs a good cms (content management system) should have. i have planning on writing one to help me learn php. and i know this would be a nice project as it is complicated and has alot of stuff needed so if anyone can tell me what kind of features and specs they expect out of a cms that would be great thanks [img]http://www.programmingforums.org/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

i have been told this mite be something not a good idea and have been recommended to do a "write an XHTML Strict/CSS forum software in PHP!" but if anyone can come up with a good project that will teach me every skill well most skills i need to learn for php that would be great [img]http://www.programmingforums.org/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hmmm, that doesn't sound like a good idea. I would start of small, and work your way up to big projects. some one learning C++ is not going to start off trying to build a windows application. php is a semi complex scripting language (not as complex as perl :p) and will be quite a challange. I would suggest finding a good book on php and going thru that. well, at any rate... if you insist on doing something hard, I would suggest some system you know how to use... like a bullitin bored.

I don't know your web development skills, but you can give a CMS a shot. Be aware, however, that because you're just learning PHP (not to mention the first time you develop a CMS) you might make some crucial mistakes in creating it. However, you just want a learning experience, right? Anyways, there's lots of documentation on the net for CMS and PHP, so I'm sure you can do it. In any case, here are a few ideas for web applications you can try:

Project Manager
E-Mail (Like Yahoo)
Address Book
Shopping Cart
Monopoly / Dungeons and Dragon Game Clone
Snippet Manager
Forum
Portal
Blog
Inventory Control
Invoice Management

Really, my first experiances of learning PHP was making a forum, I never completed it but meh.

I've tried everything I mentioned already except that game. I learned a heck of a lot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.