I have a strong Customer Service background & I am intereted in Tech support..Are most of these learn by doing or are there courses, to take..

Any on line stuff available?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have a strong Customer Service background & I am intereted in Tech support..Are most of these learn by doing or are there courses, to take..

Any on line stuff available?

I see a lot of Helpdesk positions open. Not knowing your age, and what you are willing to take as pay, this would be a reasonable place to go.

You could also try first level tech support if you are more technically oriented. They are the ones getting the basic calls and go out into the offices and interact with customers/other employees.

I suggest you look fir inhouse staff position first. It is not as rough as doing it for a vendor.

I thank you...Pay is not a big factor & like many I am seeking AGE is 49! Dedication is strong! I am in PA., NORTHEAST !~

I see a lot of Helpdesk positions open. Not knowing your age, and what you are willing to take as pay, this would be a reasonable place to go.

You could also try first level tech support if you are more technically oriented. They are the ones getting the basic calls and go out into the offices and interact with customers/other employees.

I suggest you look fir inhouse staff position first. It is not as rough as doing it for a vendor.

I thank you...Pay is not a big factor & like many I am seeking AGE is 49! Dedication is strong! I am in PA., NORTHEAST !~

Pay is always a factor, and when you are out of a job, it is almost always the only factor. I was laid off in 9/01 and been doing odds and ends till now. Just got a full time job. So pay believe me is important and is a big factor.

A second reason pay is important is because you will start hating and resenting the organization you work for if you feel you are underpaid either internally, externally or both.

But, a helpdesk position could range from $15+/hour to a decent 40K salary to start off. You will of course need to be reasonably familiar with the product/service/application you are supporting, but let's face it - you can write coherently in English - that is already a plus! :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.