I just read a story that the Wall Street Journal is looking into setting up a Linkedin-type social network to compete with Linkedin. They did try to set up an on-line community in 2008 but it has failed miserably. This time could be different. Their initial attempt to set-up an online community was a half-hearted attempt to grab a piece of the social networking explosion. It was originally intended for their subscribers only. However, as NewsCorp owns the WSJ and they are not ones to accept a failure and walk away, I think they will build a robust community that will be able to offer some content that Linkedin cannot. What do you think and would you participate if it is comparable to Linkedin?

Thaks for brining this one up for discussion. I personally have given WSJ online community a try a few times and each time, it did not retain me for the long term. Why? Reasons were:
1. I forgot I even had it.
2. When I did get a reminder - in one case, it was literally a year later, I did update the profile and engaged for that week but I did not find it much value
3. Not much people or activity

I do like WSJ and read its paper. I will give it another try if it provides as much or more than LinkedIn.

Thaks for brining this one up for discussion. I personally have given WSJ online community a try a few times and each time, it did not retain me for the long term. Why? Reasons were:
1. I forgot I even had it.
2. When I did get a reminder - in one case, it was literally a year later, I did update the profile and engaged for that week but I did not find it much value
3. Not much people or activity

I do like WSJ and read its paper. I will give it another try if it provides as much or more than LinkedIn.

I think the keys will be promoting it (I had heard about the original WSJ community but it was not much of a publicity push) and putting extras and functionality in that is equal to and/or exceeds Linkedin

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.