the laptop i got from my friend is very slow. from the boot until i click the start button.

he is using windows 7, laptop model acer 4810TZ

i tried to detect any virus onboard. i have run MBAM. but sadly his laptop is clean. i suspect that there is a hardware problem. i ran the chkdsk from command prompt.

it shows like this

c:\Windows\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NFTS.
Volume label is ACER

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files <stage 1 of 3>
0 percent complete. <0 of 144384 file records processed>
Attribute record <128,""> from file record segment 3343
is corrupt.
_7 percent complete. <112948 of 144384 records processed>

the chkdsk stopped at 7 percent.

1. is there any problem with the laptop?
2. if i format the hard disk with a clean install of windows, should it be okay?
3. the laptop is also overheating. is this also indicates the processor is working extreamly hard too?

Doesn't sound healthy does it?

Can you whip the hard drive out and connect it to another computer.
Then run chkdsk from that computer? That's how I found out my hard drive was snafu'd

i am trying to avoid that. coz i have no tools to open the hard disk.... if format the hard dish, does the problem will remain or not?

this is a new laptop. i try check its bios. it is using AHCI for the SATA mode well when i changed to IDE, and windows 7 cannot load.

take note the windows is 64-bit. is there any possibility that there are any software is used that is not compatible for this laptop?

If this is a bew laptop better claim for warranty. I don't want to get into that trouble if I were you.

well, the solution was to defrag the hard disk. silly me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.