Have an HP Pavillion when I turn it on I get one short beep code then a chug from the processor then a flashing cursor on the screen, just reformated the hard drive and cannot get that to boot...any suggestions?

Need more details.

It is an HP Pavilion 500, just reinstalled the OS with another machine because I could not get it installed on this machine. I do get a flash screen and can get into Bios, but that is it. Not sure what else I can give you, if you need something else let me know

Would a bad CMOS make since?

It starts the same with the cmos chip in and out...

last time this happened to me i unscrewed the board and sat ti there (put it horizontally if its a vertical pc)

there could be a chance that the board cannot transfer info and a small power on beep is all it can do---the may explain a cpu chugging too

good luck!

After you set it there, how long do you leave it out? Did that help the problem?

last time this happened to me i unscrewed the board and sat ti there (put it horizontally if its a vertical pc)

there could be a chance that the board cannot transfer info and a small power on beep is all it can do---the may explain a cpu chugging too

good luck!

i left it out and powered it on externally

eliminate it too (take out all pci cards)
if this doesnt work try to try out another ram source

good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.