Hello everyone.
I've been googling for a while but couldn't find any complete reference for the next question.
So the question is, what do i need(cables, cards, etc) to connect a Fibre Channel Hard Drive on a normal desktop computer, by that i mostly think about the pci-e slots.
Please don't reply if you don't know what is FC HD is or are just here to say that it would be costly.
PS: Any reference to ebay/amazon would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You need a controller card and cables, obviously. From what I can find, the controller is going to cost you somewhere from $280+ (single port) to $1400+ USD (2 or more ports). A cable will run you about $150+ (duplex cable) - at least this what I found on the www.buy.com web site, which usually has very competitive pricing for this sort of stuff. I buy most of my hardware from them.

Thanks for the answer.
But i wanted to a bit more specific answer.
The problem is for example i've found http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ST373307FC-73GB-Fibre-Channel-Channel-Hard-Drive-/310348403358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484234d29e#ht_2221wt_1037 (ebay.com listing #310348403358), has a different port from the host controllers i find (for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emulex-2GB-Fiber-Channel-Controller-64bit-PCI-Card-Host-Bus-Adapter-FC102003401H-/250893434989?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item3a6a6a006d , ebay listing #250893434989).
So it seams that i would need some kind of adapter, am i right ?

The controller is the adapter (usually). You need the optical cable(s) to connect the drive to the controller/adapter. If you go to the IBM (drive) and Emulex (controller) sites and reference these product numbers, you should be able to access technical specification documents (usually pdf files) that will give you more information.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.