I have just bought the parts to make a computer. After carefully installing everything. I tried to install xp 64 bit. Sometimes it installs to 'Setup is starting windows' and freezes (ctrl alt del won't restart it), sometimes the memory doesn't check good, sometimes it freezes in other stages of loading windows, sometimes it won't load windows at all.

I thought it might the disk but I tried to install suse linux but that wouln't install either.

Now I have a very expensive and very heavy paper weight.

Can anyone help with this problem.

How do you check for hardware faults?

The specs are:

PC CHIPS A33G SKT AM2 SiS 761GX/965L onboard VGA PCI-E 6channel audio mATX
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz Socket AM2 L2 1 MB (2x512KB)
1GB DDR2 667MHz PC2-5400 240pin
Asus 6600 Silent 512MB DDR DVI VGA PCI-E
Antec NEO HE430GB 430W Modular PSU

Andrew

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I would say that this seems to be defective RAM. See if you can test the RAM sticks on another computer. If the other computer starts up normally, see if the processor is seated properly and that you've attached the heatsink properly. Try these 2 steps and get back to us about the results.

You can also chack memory settings. Wrong settings have more-or-less same effect as faulty memory.

Yup. That too. Best option in such a case would be to reset the BIOS to the defaults.

Thanks for your help. :)

I changed the memory to Corsair (TWIN2X1024-6400C4) XMS2-6400 1024MB 4-4-4-12 2X240 DIMM Black XMS2.

It now works, so I will send the other memory back to where it came from.

Phew that was scary

Andrew

Thanks I did try that too

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.