I own a computer that for no reason at all, will just shut off. What will happen is that when I am doing something on my computer, such as playing a game or browsing this website, my computer will suddenly turn off. I can't turn it back on from the front after it turns off, I have to go to the back, turn the power supply switch off, then turn it back on. After doing that, I can turn my computer back on from the front. Sometimes, it dosen't do this at all. Can someone help me?

Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Hard Drive: 100GB

Memory: 512MB

Video Card: Nividia GeForce FX 5200

Open the case, check the compactors to make sure that they have flat tops and are not leaking or bubbling up. (if you do not know what a capactor is, it looks like a very small battery and they are all over your motherboard)

http://profesanxenxo.iespana.es/electrical/capacitor.jpg

Make sure the heatsink is on the CPU correclty because random reboots can mean heat issues. Lastly, if your Graphics card has a fan on it, make sure its turning, and the capacators on it are in good condition as well.

Well, I opened by PC. Everything looked fine, but there was a ton of dust. So, I cleaned it out, and now my computer works fine.

Thank you for youtr help :cheesy:

yeah sounded to me like overheating, probably caused by the dust.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.