Hi

Please be patient to read my question it similar the old question but not the same

I get error as below when I tried to start my Linux server.

/data contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 77000497(Attempt to read block from
file system resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

/data: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck manually.
(i.e.; without -a or -p options)
[FAILED]
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

Unfortunately, I also forgot root password so I cannot do fsck manaully, my OS is SUSE version 6 or 7 i'm not sure because it nearly 6 years that it run without any problem.

Any one who have an idea to solve this situation please help me.

Can I install a new linux OS on a new hard disk and then put the hard disk with an error to be a second hard disk to excess the data in the old hard disk, if it posiible please tell me how to do.

I need only my data from the error hard disk, after I get my data I intend to format it.

I hope there are some one who can help me, this is my serious time.

Thank you

Regards,

Panya

Are you using ext2? Well anyway, boot up with a livecd mount the drive and fsck it.

Login in runlevel 1 (single user mode)?

That usually doesnt require the root password

Google how to boot into 1 under Suse (i dont use that version) - usually you append "init 1" or something to the boot options at the bootloader screen

Login in runlevel 1 (single user mode)?

That usually doesnt require the root password

Google how to boot into 1 under Suse (i dont use that version) - usually you append "init 1" or something to the boot options at the bootloader screen

I try to run in single mode but suse linux required root password also.

Thank & Regds,

Panya

Are you using ext2? Well anyway, boot up with a livecd mount the drive and fsck it.

Yes, my computer use ext2, Can you give me a suggestion, which distro of livecd.

Thank & Regards,
Panya

>Can you give me a suggestion, which distro of livecd.
Try Ubuntu. It might actually be a better idea to unmount the drive before running an fsck check on it (makes repairing the data safer).

>It might actually be a better idea to unmount the drive before running an fsck check on it (makes repairing the data safer).

Sorry about that, you probably shouldn't mount it.

>Yes, my computer use ext2, Can you give me a suggestion, which distro of livecd.

In my opinion you shouldn't use ext2 unless you have a reliable backup power supply. (e.g laptop)

>Sorry about that, you probably shouldn't mount it.
It's worth noting however, that so-called "smart" distros like Ubuntu automatically mount all filesystems of known type. In other words, the user will have to run a umount command before running fsck on the partition. (And in many cases, such as partitioning, Ubuntu will insist on continually automounting the filesystem. That's why I tend to boot into runlevel 1 when working with partitions.)

I, personally always use a gentoo cd as my main recovery live cd. Small (download that is) and has most needed tools (webbrowser, gcc, g++, ssh, etc)

i use linux mint. It has wifi/nvidia/ntfs drivers built in

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.