i have windows xp, sp2, although it did it on sp1. i have clicked the appropriate options in windows messanger to keep it from starting on startup, but it still does. which means that my windows messanger and MSN messanger have it out on who is going to run. am i supposed to be looking somewhere else? or is it just possessed LOL it has eveyone mystified, and they go with the possessed theory. can you help?

thanks!

karki :cheesy:

ps.. im glad yall are here ;)

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

I think both those programs are 'possesors', meaning your PC is possessed by them. I don't run either for that reason. :p

Anyway, if you hit Control-Alt-Del you'll pull up Task Manager. You should be able to find a running process on the Processes page called 'msmsgs.exe', click it, then press the End Process button.

Now, open Windows Explorer, (NOT Internet Explorer), navigate to your C: drive, to the Program Files Folder, look in there for a folder called 'Messenger'. Open that folder, find the msmsgs.exe file inside, and rename it msmsgs.bak then Reboot, that should stop Windows Messenger from being able to run at all.

If this fixes it up for you, be sure to write these instructions down, because you may need to do it again once in a while after downloading new Windows Updates.

I know nothing of MSN messenger, if it stops working after you rename that file, you'll have to name it back to msmsgs.exe. Let me know how you fare.

Good luck. :)

Go to StartMenu->Run; when the prompt comes up type: msconfig then click OK. The System configuration utility will come up. Click on the startup tab.From this point you can control what programs will begin on startup. Simply uncheck whichever command line has windows messager(WM) in it. It should be GWMDMMSG, But I am not sure. Never mess with any files that have the word "system" or "system32" in them. However, none of this is any help if you are running MSN Messenger. MSN works with WM using NET passport, therefore when MSN starts so does WM.
NOTE: If u disable MSN Messenger Msn will not let u sign in. Best of luck!!

I kind of thought that MSN Messenger might use Windows Messenger, if you're right, you've just confirmed that.

Go to StartMenu->Run; when the prompt comes up type: msconfig then click OK. The System configuration utility will come up. Click on the startup tab.From this point you can control what programs will begin on startup. Simply uncheck whichever command line has windows messager(WM) in it. It should be GWMDMMSG, But I am not sure. Never mess with any files that have the word "system" or "system32" in them. However, none of this is any help if you are running MSN Messenger. MSN works with WM using NET passport, therefore when MSN starts so does WM.
NOTE: If u disable MSN Messenger Msn will not let u sign in. Best of luck!!

I believe that in MSCONFIG, it's named "msmsgs", like DuncanIdaho mentioned. If you rename msmsgs.exe, you might then end up with an annoying "Cannot find MSMSGS.exe" type of error at startup.

Actually, I'll be surprised if he finds it in MSCONFIG, because if you tell it not to run in it's options as he said he did, it removes itself from MSCONFIG's list, so it shouldn't even be there. I guess it's possible that somehow he ended up with two entries for it in there though, (I have a few entries in mine that are duplicates, seems to happen on occasion).

Thats a good point. Before I posted I went back and checked. There was no file "msmsgs". When I unchecked "GWMDMMSG" and rebooted neither my WM or MSN Messenger started. I am sure my version of Msn messanger is completely different than most(don't ask), which could also be the diffrence in the file name.
You are probably be right. It might not be there at all. Msn messenger does prompt it to start though.
I guess if we really wanted to be helpful and gain more insite we would ask:

Why is it that you do not windows messenger to run at statup?

I hope my questions get this much attention!

Karki, The easiest way to stop MSN Messenger from starting automatically is to open it, click on Tools (at the top), and then Options (at the bottom), Click on the Preferences tab, and then clear the box that says Run this program when Windows starts. Make any other changes you want while your there, and then click OK and close the program. It won't start automatically anymore.

For the Windows Messenger service, click on Start, point to Settings, click on Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, double-click Services, and scroll down to Messenger. It will probably show in the Startup Type as Automatic, right-click on it, and then click on Properties. At the Startup type box, click on the drop-down arrow and select either Manual or Disabled; Disabled will not allow you to use the program at all (unless you change it again), and Manual will let you start it whenever you want to.

Heheh, which is what he said he did at the start, which is why we got into less 'standard' ways of shutting Messenger down. He's not talking about Windows Messenger, the alerter service, rather Microsoft Messenger, and MSN Messenger. ;)

I use this little utility HERE from Doug Knox, it allows you to disable or completely remove Windows Messenger from your computer.:)

You can turn it off by doing this. When you turn on your computer go into safe mode. Then go to program files and find the messenger file. Right click and go to rename and add "Off" to the end of the word messenger. This worked for me. I would always go into the msconfig to try to stop it and it would keep starting up after that.

commented: good answer +1

Yes Dark_omen is right i put that info on a link in my first post

Didn't happen on mine, I had no problem renaming it after killing the process, but either way, I don't think any of this will help him, as it's been pointed out that if he kills Microsoft Messenger, it will also kill his MSN Messenger, which he wants to use.

I have no ideas on how to solve this.

Didn't happen on mine, I had no problem renaming it after killing the process, but either way, I don't think any of this will help him, as it's been pointed out that if he kills Microsoft Messenger, it will also kill his MSN Messenger, which he wants to use.

I have no ideas on how to solve this.

On Windows XP there are three Microsoft applications that are all known as "Messenger". There's Messenger which handles alerts like net send commands. Then there's Windows Messenger which is the built in IM client that comes with XP and runs as msmsgs.exe. Then there's MSN Messenger which, if I remember correctly, runs as msnmsgr.exe and has more robust IM client capabilities for the MSN IM community.

Hope this helps.

commented: Good to know, hope I can remember it! +1

On Windows XP there are three Microsoft applications that are all known as "Messenger". There's Messenger which handles alerts like net send commands. Then there's Windows Messenger which is the built in IM client that comes with XP and runs as msmsgs.exe. Then there's MSN Messenger which, if I remember correctly, runs as msnmsgr.exe and has more robust IM client capabilities for the MSN IM community.

Hope this helps.

Helps me :) I have a better understanding of these services now. Hope it can help resolve Karki's problem somehow.

This topic has gotten somewhat muddy, so I'm going to rehash it here for clarity, hope no one minds:

The guy has:

Microsoft Messenger IM client.

MSN Messenger IM client.

(Windows Messenger alerter service is not involved in this problem).

His problem:

Both Microsoft Messenger IM client AND MSN Messenger IM client are loading at startup, fighting to see who's gonna log him in, even though he has set Microsoft Messenger IM client to not load at startup, and to never run.

That's the issue he's having.

So, I see at least a few possibilities: He somehow ended up with multiple entries for MSMSGS.EXE in his registry/MSCONFIG startup list, or he has a copy of Messenger in his Startup folder.

If the former is true, he can simply open msconfig and remove the check in front of any entry for msmsgs.exe. If the latter is true, he can delete the copy from his Startup folder.

If neither of these apply, first, what the heck is making it run? lol

Second: I'd try renaming msmsgs.exe, and seeing if MSN Messenger IM client still runs. If it does, he's golden. If it doesn't, I'm mystified.

Hope that clears this one up a bit. :)

heh...ok i was kinda avoiding this thread for a specific reason...I already know this problem and I don't think there is a solution...maybe an updated version of Windows Messenger would be fixed, it doesn't happen to me anymore -- I'm using 4.7. DI has the right idea in taking it out of msconfig - and that will work for a while but every now and then it seems to creep back in there. This thread has gotten rather muddy and I don't feel like reading it again but maybe this would be a situation to remove Windows Messenger since it sounds like MSN Messenger is the desired IM client and I think someone already posted how to remove it. Here's what MS says about it, but it looks like a lot of work.

I also found this rather interesting since we're talking about it coming back on its own:

Windows XP Home and Windows Messenger 4.0
If you are running Windows Messenger version 4.0 on a machine that’s running Windows XP Home Edition, you’ll have to use a different procedure. Open Windows Messenger and click Tools | Options. When the Options properties sheet opens, select the Preferences tab. Deselect the Run This Program When Windows Starts check box and click OK. This will prevent the Windows Messenger from running when you start Windows, but users can still start Windows Messenger manually and it may be started automatically when you run Outlook or Outlook Express.

I have no idea what version it's up to now but this is the latest from MS... would try that first. Good luck.

Yup, the bit about it opening with Outlook is true even with the latest version, which is why mine's been renamed for over 3 years now. It also opens if you hit Hotmail's website, (odd that).

Anyway, thanks for that, that's good info. :)

did you try booting into safe mode and renaming msmsgs.exe to msmsgsoff.exe it is in the directory c:/program files/messenger.

oops. my bad! Sorry for the link about Windows Messaging Service, please ignore it.

Right, I have Windows Messenger disabled on my system, MSN Messenger enabled and loading at startup, Outlook installed and in constant use, and no conflicts or returns from the dead whatsoever.

Here's how:

Open Windows Messenger. On Tools->Options->Preferences disable the 'Load at Startup' option. Close Messenger.
Open Outlook Express. On Tools->Options->General disable 'Automatically log on to Windows Messenger'
Close Windows Messenger again if it's running and logged in.
Reboot, making sure that neither Outlook Express nor Windows Messenger loads at startup.
Start MSN Messenger
Open up 'Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs -> Set Program access and defaults. Choose 'Custom' and ensure that 'Use my current Instant Messaging Program' is enabled.

That's how it's configured on my system, and there's no sign of the problems being reported here. Windows Messenger does NOT run at all, ever.

I'm using the version of Outlook included in MS Office XP, and only ever load Outlook Express to check settings and features. Outlook does not cause Windows Messenger to run. Starting OE does not cause problems.

There is also a Registry tweak which can permanently disable Windows Messenger, and people who use Windows Messenger 4.0 need to disable it using Group policies.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger/messenger2.php

Wonderful, that should solve this one, Catweazle. :)

Windows Messenger is installed by default, and it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program applet in Control Panel. However, you can manually edit the SYSOC.INF file, which is located in the C:\WINDOWS [or your Windows XP directory]\INF folder by opening it with Notepad.

Under the [Components] heading, you'll find a various parameters for different Windows applets. Some of them contain the word "hide".

To remove Windows Messenger, find the line that reads

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

& edit it as follows:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7

Save the file & close it. Then open the Add/Remove Program applet and click on Windows Components button. Now find Windows Messenger. Uncheck it and click Next to remove it from your system. Of course it doesn't remove it permanently, for you can add it back on if you so choose later.

*** The best way to remove msmsgs completely (and say bye-bye for good) is to run the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

If you choose to use the msmsgs, be sure to download the "Shoot The Messenger" utility from GRC.com (http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm ), which plugs the security hole that msmsgs is prone to having. :cheesy:

Good info.

For the record though, Shoot the Messenger has nothing to do with Microsoft (Windows) Messenger IM client, (msmsgs.exe), but rather has to do with the Windows Messenger Alerter service, which is a networking utility designed for admins to pop messages up on users desktop. Stop the Messenger keeps people from the Internet from hitting you with Alerter service spam messages by disabling the alerter service. Though it sounds similar, it is not the same as the Messenger instant messenger client, they are two totally different things.

Good info.

For the record though, Shoot the Messenger has nothing to do with Microsoft (Windows) Messenger IM client, (msmsgs.exe), but rather has to do with the Windows Messenger Alerter service, which is a networking utility designed for admins to pop messages up on users desktop. Stop the Messenger keeps people from the Internet from hitting you with Alerter service spam messages by disabling the alerter service. Though it sounds similar, it is not the same as the Messenger instant messenger client, they are two totally different things.

well, ahemmm...

technically, yes. My point is that MS should have done something about those spammers in the first place instead of relegating their sloppy work to a third pary like ppl at grc (didn't they know that spammers were coming, just as they adamently think that Outlook has no business in spreading worms). :rolleyes: :cheesy:

Be that as it may, as I understand it, the alerter svc is a component of Windows instant messaging. The Windows Messenger client is what interacts with Exchange 2000 server for messaging tasks. By "Microsoft (Windows) Messenger IM client, (msmsgs.exe)" you seem to refer to MSN messenger.

Here is a brief synopse of the difference between the two (pirated off another webpage to save myself time & effort ;) )

What's the difference between MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger?

MSN Messenger is an instant messaging client for Windows (and some other platforms), targetted at the home-user. It offers a lot of personalisation options (adding your own emoticons, backgrounds, etc) to customise your chatting experience and express yourself like you want.

Windows Messenger is another instant messaging client but runs only on the Windows XP platform and later, Windows 2000. This IM client is targetted at corporations and offers a more clean, pro look. Windows Messenger is more tightly integrated with applications such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, or the Remote Assistance feature of Windows XP. It can connect to the Communications Service and Exchange Instant Messaging.

Either can be used to access the same .NET Messaging Service contacts, so if you're chatting with your friends and family, it doesn't matter which one you use and changing from one to the other is not a problem. You can even combine the use of both -only one will run automatically on startup- but not with the same .NET Passport.

Uh-oh, that's not all yet. On Windows 2000 and Windows XP there is a service, called "Messenger Service", often unfortunately referred to as "Windows Messenger", that is used to present what can best be called network messages to a machine's user. This is not an instant messaging application, but rather software that runs in the background, listening for incoming messages and popping up a very simple box containing the message when one arrives.

For example, in a corporate environment when you send a document to a network printer. The messenger service handles the pop-up message that the printer sends back when it has finished.

Unfortunately the Messenger Service has been exploited by spammers to pop-up unwanted advertising messages on unprotected machines on the internet. Microsoft has decided to remove it from future versions of Windows, but in the meantime you'll have to remove it yourself if you want to get rid of the annoying spam.

Hence my point: protect yourself from spammers by applying "shoot the messenger"

I'm pasting this from the Shoot the Messenger you used posted, you should read it more closely:

"Windows Messenger Service

The first thing to understand is that the Windows Messenger Service is completely different from, and not in any way related to, "MSN Messenger", "Windows Messenger", or any other well-known instant messaging system. Therefore, disabling the Windows Messenger service will have no effect upon your use of any other instant messaging applications. They will continue to work without trouble."

You should go run MSMSGS.EXE, you will see it is pretty much the same thing as MSN Messenger, and it hooks up to the same place. Windows Messenger Alerter Service has nothing to do with this.

Again, I state that Windows Messenger Alerter Service has NO relation whatsoever to the MSN and Windows Messenger instant messaging clients, and is completely unrelated to the topic here.

good lawd! who new i was going to post such a troublesome topic!! hehe

sorry for the delay in getting back... life got hectic!

i tried the first suggestion, and i could find the files, even tho they were running on my task manager. dont ask me. LOL im going to print out the posts and read over them again, and give it a go. ill post what a come up with LOL right now, im just confused. but thats my normal state. LOL

oh, and for the record, im female hehe :cheesy: no worries tho!

karki

Okay, to stop Window Messenger from running at Startup, you need to do the following steps:

1. Go to Start -> Run
2. Type in gpedit.msc
3. Go into User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Messenger
4. Set the values to "Enabled" (Windows Default is "Not Configured")

This will stop Windows Messenger from running at all, even at Startup.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.