HI - I had a problem with Xp Professional SP2 2002 so I booted from cd and selected R to repair. It went through to lookinf for Prodect key and it wont accept my key. I have searched for a key on the web to no avail and I cant back out of the repair. Any help please?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

HI - I had a problem with Xp Professional SP2 2002 so I booted from cd and selected R to repair. It went through to lookinf for Prodect key and it wont accept my key. I have searched for a key on the web to no avail and I cant back out of the repair. Any help please?

do you have a legit copy of xp pro install OR,are us using a legit copy of xp pro to do the repair on a computer with the no so legit copy of xp installed ,now be honest or we cant help you with this problem .

As far as I know it is lagit the laptop is 4 years old and I got it with it

do me a big favor and help save me some time here and answer all questions when asked so i don't have to post again just to ask question over again .thanks ,what xp disk are you using if any to do the repair .or is it a restore/repair from the laptop hard drive

It is the original Windows CD. Windows Xp Professional includes service pack 2 Version 2002

ok,so its the original disk that came with the laptop ,and it will not take the key from the back side of the laptop,or is it a different copy, possible miss type of number ,sometime this problem can be caused when using a winxp cd with SP2 ,on a original install that was only SP1.you may need to borrow/use a disk that is SP1

caperjack, have a problem with downloading from the web. please see my post

caperjack, have a problem with downloading from the web. please see my post

sorry ,you aren't suppose to hijack other persons thread .so please do not post you question here .don't post back here i will go look at you post .thanks

I have tried using a different disk but the install keeps asking for the original disk

im stumped for the moment .let me think a bit about it .i load and repair windows a lot ,and have only about 32 meg of memory .lol i know i had this problem before ,thinking ,thinking ,will post back a bit later .

So you are doing the second Repair option where it does a install over previous winxp install !!right ,
You do know that what you've done you were suppose to back up all important data just in case ,you may need to interrupt the install and take the harddrive out to put in another computer as slave and retrieve the data ,and do a fresh reinstall of winxp my opinion anyway .only thing i can think of on this topic i said in my other post about the sp1 ans 2 issue ,sorry

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.