Hi, hoping someone here can shed some light on a problem that has baffled me for weeks, and those who i work with in Tech Support. yes yes, its our job and we can't work it out, i know, its lame.

Anyway, when i am downloading torrents, using any client, after a while my PC wil start freezing, and then unlocking. If i manage to get into task manager you can see the processor going 100% when it freezes, then dropping when it unlocks.
I am running server 2003 as a DHCP server, and RAS/VPN, and then running a switch off of that.
When the above happens, the connection to the server from my PC seems to die. i cannot ping the server at all. Connection to the net ON THE SERVER still remains fine though.
A restart of my PC and its all fine again, until a while after more downloading.

I have tried fresh installs of windows, different torrent clients, a different NIC, port openings, connection limits, just about everything people have mentioned.
I am clear of all spyware which can cause problems, so i am completely stumped.

Im running Windows XP Pro Corp
AMD Athlon 1.4
512DDR
and a standard netgear NIC.

i do stress, this is only happening when downloading torrents. I can download files normalls from http, running at full 180Kbps and its fine.

Any ideas? :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

update:
i got a new HDD yesterday, clean install of XP etc, and it still does it.

Could it be the memory?

How's the PC problem going??

My ADSL is working YEAH.... :cheesy: I'm so happy...

update:
i got a new HDD yesterday, clean install of XP etc, and it still does it.

Could it be the memory?

Got the EXACT same problem and i have no clue how to fix it.... it's quite annoying.......... haven't been able to get to the task manager though but i may be quite impatient with computers. Have you found the reason? ?

GOA

Hi Goa,

First of all- welcome to Daniweb.

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforum..._faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

As the member who originally started this thread has not responded in more than a year, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

When you go to task manager, is the torrent client taking up the processor usage ??? or is there some other process .. if yes what's it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.