i bought a ati radeon 9600xt 128mb awhile ago and it worked fine for a week or so then it started to freeze and restart my computer and it normally does this when im in a game or someone walks near the tower.

my computer specs are:
win/xp home
sp1
p4 1.8ghz
532mb avalible

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

i bought a ati radeon 9600xt 128mb awhile ago and it worked fine for a week or so then it started to freeze and restart my computer and it normally does this when im in a game or someone walks near the tower.

my computer specs are:
win/xp home
sp1
p4 1.8ghz
532mb avalible

If you mean by that when someone physically walks nearby to your PC, then the very first thing i'd be doing is to shut off and disconnect the power from that PC, strip it down and thoroughly check to see that there's no loose screws or somesuch inside the case, and that everything is firmly and completely connected when it's put back together again. I'd also be checking all power cord or powerboard connections, to ensure that they're all firm connections.

That sounds like a vibration problem from that description, and if it is it will lead to component failure if it continues.

Sounds to me like you are running wireless.
There are three frequencies available for microwave ovens, cell phones, and wireless nics. Put them on the same frequency and you will get the troubles you have described.
Also, with that new card you may want to change the amount of RAM going to the AGP\VGA in the BIOS.

thank you for your help but how do you get to the bio's and is it bad when a component fails

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.