i need to train my self on unix os but i dont have it available on any pc at home. i have a laptop installed windows vista on it. how can i install unix os on it?

google for something called Microsoft Virtual PC

Or you can dual boot

virtualisation is easier and less risky

now by UNIX do you mean an actual UNIX OS or a unix-like OS?

i mean both, we use unix servers in the company, but i wanna familiarize my self with linux and such as well. i installed vmware workstation trial version. but i am going to install microsoft virtual pc too. thanks for your reply

Try Ubuntu, multiboot with vista. I wanted the same and Installed with NO risky, Why? Because the Installer is graphic! :)

Yeah with the right flavor, the installation process is really, really simple and would give a more true representation of how the OS would actually function in toto, vs. a virtualization.

yeah but he will probably want to install / reinstall a lot as well as run some server services

for a learning tool, virtualisation is better as you can have a whole little virtual network with no security risks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.