Hello forum,

I am no longer able to boot into Windows XP Home sp1 without the error message "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll, can not find this file, please reinstall it".

But whenever I boot into the XP recovery disk and change into the system32 directory and use the copy command - copy hal.dll - it says it can't find the file. It will copy any other file in that directory, but not that particular one. And when I use the dir command, hal.dll appears in the list.

Does the file that needs to be copied have to already be installed in the Windows installation (C:\Windows)? That would defeat the purpose of the recovery disk since it is used to reinstall missing files. Surely the file is not missing on the recovery disk! Is there a way to copy this file back into the Windows installation?

Please help,

Roy

Hello again forum,

About that file hal.dll, it can't be touched at all while in the XP recovery console disk. I am trying to copy that file back into the /system32 directory to see if my computer will boot since I keep getting the error message "can't find hal.dll" upon boot up of XP.

While in the recovery console, if I try to copy hal.dll, I get a message saying the system can not find the file.

If I try to change the attributes of hal.dll, I get "file can not be opened".

If I try to expand hal.dl_ from the i386 directory, I get a message that says "unable to create the file".

And if I try to delete hal.dll, the message says "delete operation failed".

I followed the link that Catweazle supplied me with (above) and tried del. C:\boot.ini, bootcfg and fixboot, but upon bootup of XP, it still says it can't find hal.dll.

I would be most grateful if somebody could offer me a ray of hope on getting Windows XP to boot again. I have tons of programs installed on it and I sure do not want to do a clean install.

Please help if you can,
Roy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.