Can't access folders (D: or DVD) after sleep/hibernate. The error is:
D:\<Folder Name> is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

All normal after restart.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hi,
I do not know why it would be different after sleep but you can try to do a SFC. Sometimes, some of the windows protected files can be lost or changed. To detect any problems run the program “System File Checker” (SFC). Before you run it you should purge your PC’s cache:-

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”.. sfc.exe /purgecache

Note:- the space after “exe”.

The “purgecache” in this command will empty the cache before you run the file checker. You should always purge the cache before scanning with the System File Checker (SFC). That way, you can be sure that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and are not infected with malware or corrupted. After the cache has been purged, run System File Checker.

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”… sfc.exe /scannow

Note:- the space after “exe”. You may be required to use your installation disk.

This could take a long time to complete, when finished, reboot, put to sleep, wake and see if the problem still exists.

I'm not an expert like Bob_180_Bob so I'm just adding my two cents and my answer can be ignored.

Sleep or hibernate usually refers to a laptop preference although some people have this option enabled for their PC's. It soes seem like an unusual event taking place.

When you come out of sleep or hibernation, do you have to use a password to get to desktop or does it just start at where you left off?

Was there any processing occuring before hibernation? The reason I ask this is that I was transferring 10gb of mp3 files from my Vaio Notebook to my PC via a PC-Link. What I forgot about was that the notebook would go to sleep after a duration then into hibernation after another period of time. I got about 4gb transferred, enough for me for now, I get the rest later but it was a shake up for me to always check the When to go into sleep mode or hibernation. The Notebook did not detect that data being transferred from the Notebook was actually activity and shut itself down into hibernation. Perhaps this might relate to your problem or to what you were trying to do?

Hi jupiter 2,
Firstly, I am no expert, I just have a lot of experience and some knowledge. Go here and learn about sleep/hibernate.
http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/windows/sleep.htm

Hi mrt49er,
jupitor 2 got me thinking, sleep and hibernate are two different modes, which one are you using?

I'm not an expert like Bob_180_Bob so I'm just adding my two cents and my answer can be ignored.

Sleep or hibernate usually refers to a laptop preference although some people have this option enabled for their PC's. It soes seem like an unusual event taking place.

When you come out of sleep or hibernation, do you have to use a password to get to desktop or does it just start at where you left off?

Was there any processing occuring before hibernation? The reason I ask this is that I was transferring 10gb of mp3 files from my Vaio Notebook to my PC via a PC-Link. What I forgot about was that the notebook would go to sleep after a duration then into hibernation after another period of time. I got about 4gb transferred, enough for me for now, I get the rest later but it was a shake up for me to always check the When to go into sleep mode or hibernation. The Notebook did not detect that data being transferred from the Notebook was actually activity and shut itself down into hibernation. Perhaps this might relate to your problem or to what you were trying to do?

Thanks. I have tested with both options. The result is the same.

Well, Uncle Bob, that link is the best advice I've seen from you yet.

As a last resort last ditch effort to get a reputation point (hehehe)

Have you set the secondary drive as a slave to the master? Or is it just a HDD that you added and then assigned a driveletter to?

Maybe the CD drive is set to master and the Hdd is set to Slave, cable wise not boot wise? maybe the cable is not an 80 Channel cable but an old cable? Maybe the drive is a Sata Drive?

Hi mrt49er,
jupitor 2 got me thinking, sleep and hibernate are two different modes, which one are you using?

Thanks. I have tested with both options. The result is the same.

Have you set you PC to sleep or hibernate?

Did you go there to find that most of what you said as wrong (as per normal) and that is why you say that? "Only laptops have sleep or hibernate...."

Look Bob, I gave you a compliment and yet you still pick on me. Perhaps I should report you for being abusive.

I only make suggestions.. There are not exactly hundreds of people offering suggestions and not all your answers are correct. You are very arrogant and you seem to be a power within your self.

jupitor 2 got me thinking

If I got you thinking then perhaps my suggestion wasn't so bad? At least it opened up a new train of thought.

To be honest, this sounded to me like a sarcastic remark and may also have been taken that way by Bob.
That often happens in a forum environment where one cannot 'see' the person making the comment, nor how the comment was meant.
If it's a genuine misunderstanding, let's leave it there and play nice with each other :).

Crunchie - He continues to send me private messages. I've just reported his last message to me. He does not allow prive messages so I have to use the forum for my reply.

He stated that PC do not sleep so called me offensive names. PC do have a sleep mode, it is called "Standby".

Tell him to keep away from putting me down. I am only making suggestions.

Can't access folders (D: or DVD) after sleep/hibernate. The error is:
D:\<Folder Name> is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

All normal after restart.

try logging off and back on , instead of restart ,not a fix but quicker if it works

Back to the Question - At display settings dialog > Screen Saver > Power ( might be different with Vista), your settings for the Hard drive and monitor might be set to turn off after 15 mins. I set mine to "never". These settings are usually missed and can cause problems.

Also, you probably have a USB Internet device attached. This also causes problems. Internet USB takes over the D: Driveletter if this driveletter has not been manually assigned to a drive.. You may have attached an extra drive but not assigned it a driveletter.

I have tested your recommendations. I normally “hibernate” the computer and “sleep” is disabled. I have tested with “sleep” enabled and “hibernate” disabled. The drives and DVD are all internal SATA. It used to work fine.
Bob, the SFC.EXE didn’t report anything wrong.
Thank you for time and suggestions. I’ll keep working on it.

A point of interest - were any of my suggestions helpful or do you think they were irrevelant?

Bob, the SFC.EXE didn’t report anything wrong.

It wouldnt anyway. It runs silent.

Just a question, are you using Bitlocker drive encryption or do you have an IBM/Lenovo/Sony/Apple Laptop? I ask this because my lenovo updater promoted me to dowload a hotfix precicely this error, but it seemed to only relate to that particular combination of sleep+encryption+HDAPS disk shock protection.

Secondy,check your drives policies (right click and go into properties on my computer). Disabling caching may help as ive noticed that sometimes on one of my other PCs if it shuts down too quick it doesnt seem to be able to write the cache in time, resulting in files i was using being corrupted and the disk being flagged as dirty.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.