Hello and greetings

I have a computer using XP as the operating system and with SP 2 installed. I recently had a bad virus infection that thanks to the help from this website was able to remove and I am very grateful as the commercial virus removal programs couldnt help me. Unfortunately however since that time, I cannot get into the windows search window directly. If I try and start it from the start menu or from the left click on the start button, the computer simply sits there doing nothing, doesnt respond or anything. I can however still do a search by opening up the explorer window and then selecting search from the tool bar and it works fine.

Do I need to completely reinstall XP (a path I would rather not go down for the obvious reason) or is there some way to tweak or patch the sytem to repair this fault

Thank you

same thing has happened to me what Anti-virus/Spyware/Ad-aware tools are you using?

i still havent fixed this promblem :evil:

Zone alarm = firewall
AVG = antivirus
Lavasoft Ad-aware = spyware and ads

Are your similar?

If U find a solution, let me know

regards

Kermie

Run Windows Setup. When prompted to choose between an Upgrade or a Clean Install. choose Upgrade. That won't wipe your settings out....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.