Member Avatar for Amoryethel

Hi, I have a 32-bit operating system of Vista Home Premium, with 3 GB of RAM, and a processor running at 2 GHz. I have passed the system requirements from Windows Upgrade Advisor. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, but I'm having a difficult time deciding which OS to choose from in Windows 7 Professional. Windows 7 Professional (x86) or Windows 7 Professional (x64)? It's a bit embarrassing, but I'm afraid I don't know the difference between the two. I would be grateful if someone could explain it to me. Thank you.

The 32bit version will work on sytems with 32bit and 64bit CPU's. The 64bit version will only work on a system with a 64bit CPU.

Do you know what type of CPU you have?

Hi

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (or say CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

64 bit windows has improved performance and reliability, enhanced security, and an unprecedented level of compatibility.

Now if we look towards system specifications then a PC having 4GB (or more) RAM and atleast 2.5 GHz (or more) of processor have a good output in x64 bit windows.

Although we can use x64 bit in your system also but the performance will not be upto the mark.

So in this case a 32 BitWindows is recommended.

The 32bit version will work on sytems with 32bit and 64bit CPU's. The 64bit version will only work on a system with a 64bit CPU.

Do you know what type of CPU you have?

AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.00 GHz

That is a 64bit CPU so you can use either 32bit or 64bit windows 7! I am using windows 7 Ultimate 64bit right now and I have to say I really like it!

I presume the 64-bit OS is Windows 7 Professional (x64) and the 32-bit OS is Windows 7 Professional (x86)?

You presume correctly!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.