This goes back to "lost favorites" after microsoft did away with the links bar,have learned that the links have been hidden, they are still there just can't fine them.I'm using Windows7 Pro and IE8. Have searched for them everywhere and can't fine them,and microsoft is of little use on how to find all the links that I had,and when I find a link that I had and try to add it to my favorites I get a window that says that the link is already there and wants to know if I want to overwrite it and if i say yes it too just disappears into the land of the lost.
Have done a recovery twice and still no joy.Have searched microsoft help forums and no help there.
Can anyone in Daniland help me find my way?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I'm not sure of this, but I think it is not the favorites bar, which is a folder in favorites. If you want it to stay as a toolbar, you need to:

-open Internet Explorer
-from the View menu, point to Toolbars and click to select Favorites Bar.

If the Menu Bar is not there, press ALT key to reveal!

Good Luck

You can also use

My Computer/Local Disk (C:)/Users/Your Name/Favorites

when you click favorites under veiw all it does it adds a toolbar with your favorites listed.

Renaldo, all that does is show me what is there now, I can't find my orginal list of favorites, and windows7 is nothing like XP.I have even used the virtual machine with XP to look for them to no avail. they are there and they are not there.

Some posters have posted the same problem before in daniweb. I will go and check and find the thread for you. Microsoft forums also have solutions to this.

See this thread
Is by yourself. I don't know whether the solution came work with this problem?

XP......> C:\Documents and Settings\<dewabo>\Favorites\Favorites Bar

What I want you to understand is that it should have moved the IE7 Links folder to the IE8 Favorites Bar folder. That folder is a sub-folder of the Favorites folder. If you don't see your links on the Favorites Bar (which contains the same links as Favorites\Favorites Bar) then they were not found during the upgrade.

I think you are asking if the Links as they were in IE7 are still archived somewhere. That, I do not know, but if it is, it would likely be in a compressed folder. You could back-up your current favorites, uninstall IE8, Export your favorites from IE7, re-install IE8, and import your favorites backups. I have never done that before, but if your old links are that important, it can't hurt to try.

Good Luck

Refer to "valid file name" and mark this as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.