I am trying to install phpbb to use as a forum on my home server but I don't know where to start in the line of mysql. I have downloaded the latest version of mysql and installed it, but I can't figure out how to create a database for phpbb.

Thanks
[edit]
sorry but I put this topic in the wrong forum. Got lost in the layout.

phpbb has its own install scripts that builds the tables. Can you "see" your phpbb install?

Are you sure mysql is running?

By the way, a very nice interface to mysql is phpmyadmin. Once you set it up (medium skill level) then you can see what you've got.

I am trying to install phpbb to use as a forum on my home server but I don't know where to start in the line of mysql. I have downloaded the latest version of mysql and installed it, but I can't figure out how to create a database for phpbb.

As barnamos said, phpMyAdmin is a very useful tool for fiddling with MySQL. It's not difficult to install - if you already have a web server with PHP working, just extract it to your root directory, rename the directory to whatever you want, and point your browser to it.

I am having a local friend help me with that. I got past the install part, I just cant create the databases.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.