We are currently running server 2000 which has active directory,dns & dhcp running, we are planning to deploy a new server on 2008 platform. Can i be able to migrate those roles to the new server if not any ideas on the most effective way to go about it.

2008 or 2008 R2?
What OS are the clients?

You can do the transition in the usual fashion (i.e. set up the new one as a BDC then promote it, and increase the functional level) , its well documented for 2003-2008, so the same *should* work.

This may be of some help? : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755199%28WS.10%29.aspx#BKMK_Server_roles

You just cant do an "in place" upgrade, but its a whole new server so thats not an issue.

Thanks man i had not done my research well the old server happened to be windows nt not 2k anyway i have resolved to create a new active directory since i have around 30 machines and similar number of users it should not be that hard thanks anyway

Yeah Windows NT4 is virtually impossible to transition from, as the "Old-style" NT domains are not the same as an Active Directory domain e.g. they use WINS instead of DNS...

I think there is an AD migration tool somewhere on the MS site for it though (sp6 resource kit?)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.