the place i'm working for is currently getting teir old p2 266 and 300mhz to the landfill but i try to scavenge one or 2, the main problem is that its research center computer and they have put windows 2000, i cannot go trough the logon page as i dont even know the admin password or other passwor dthat could be in it, i will talk of it with the informatic techncian but in the meanwhile is there anothe rwya to get trought this so i can format the disk and start with linux or windows 98(for my brother who want to be mechanics)

Chris

IIRC, there are utilites out there that will allow you to boot to a DOS prompt and wipe the drive. For such slow systems, Linux or Win 98 does seem like a better choice then Win 2K.

yeah thats why i wanted to go trought the logon screen to be able to format and apply Linux on 1(for bettering my personal knowledge of linux) and 1 will be w98 for my brother. The main problem was that im on night shift and the tchnician is on day shift si i see him 30 minutes per day. Today he let me get trought one and next monday he will do the other one so i can enter the computer as himself. The thing was that i couldnt get a dos prompt at all, just the logon screen appearing and i've tried to enter the bios(secured also) and the safe mode listing, notthing worked out.

Chris

You'll have to use a boot disk to get to a DOS prompt.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.