I am having a startup problem with my computer. After completing a printer software download windows asked me to restart my computer. When I did my computer would hang up on a blank screen and a message comes up saying ‘Out of Frequency’. Win ME is only letting me into safe mode. In safe mode when I tried to restore settings it would knock me out completely and start to reboot again.

When I tried to re-install the Win ME software from safe mode using the setup.exe I get the following message at the beginning of the installation, ‘Setup does not have enough conventional memory to check your computer’s hard disks’.

I then performed the following scan:

Scandisk: found no errors* Scanreg: found no errors* Scanreg /fix: stated that "Windows successfully repaired registry" (even though scanreg stated I had no registry errors).* Scanreg /restore: “Windows successfully restored registry

Can anyone help me to get Win ME to work in normal mode? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

...I tried to restore settings...

Are you saying that you tried the System Restore feature, or that you tried to revert the changes made by the newly-installed printer software (by uninstalling it, perhaps)?

I did both actually. I still cannot startup into normal mode, only safe mode.

Bugger :(
It sounds like you've tried all of the normal repair options available for ME. As far as what comes to mind right now, I think that attempting an "in-place" reinstallation of the OS might the only option left if you want to keep your data intact.

Ok, I will try the link you sent me. Thanks for your help.

OK. I wish I had a less drastic suggestion for you, but as I said, it looks like you've tried the usual recovery steps.
However- please be aware that reinstalling Windows on top of an existing installation is not foolproof; there is always at least the possibility of data loss.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.