I have tried several times to make ssd bootable. Was successful. But I have never found my SSD in the boot list option. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Can't you select a USB device as your first boot option in your BIOS/EUFI settings? Do you need to boot from external so frequently that just pressing the boot options key when you boot is not an option?

Let's hear what OS you were using. Windows in the most common versions does not support this. If you want some bootable USB version of Windows it's not cheap. You want the "Windows To Go" version. Or you google workarounds which from what I've seen are pretty awful as they break then the user is asking for support which never happens.

Now about Linux. That's NBD! (no big deal.)

commented: what link would you recommend using to get some bootable USB version of Windows? what is the Windows Go to version? what are the google workarounds? +0

type reset and press enter and click the bottom option and from there you will either have to press the function key that is printed on the usb stick and than boot in or it will boot you in without you pressing the function key. i can't tell you which one iswhich because i have misplaced my usb stick somewhere in my room and i can't find it, i will do a proper search to find it. it can't just disappear and i am willing to find out which one is which not just for you but for myself.

commented: Do you have a cat? +14

For Yusaf_13.

You asked "what link would you recommend using to get some bootable USB version of Windows? what is the Windows Go to version? what are the google workarounds?"

I had hope you would research some of that on your own. I do not want to make you feel bad here but here are the research methods I would use.

Remember that Windows does not perform well on USB drives so you don't do this except for a short time while you fix the problems with your PC>

1. what link would you recommend using to get some bootable USB version of Windows? A: https://www.google.com/search?&q=bootable+USB+version+of+Windows
  2. what is the Windows Go to version? A: https://www.google.com/search?&q=what+is+the+Windows+To+Go+version
  3. what are the google workarounds? A: https://www.google.com/search?&q=bootable+USB+version+of+Windows

Now that you asked I'm going to have to revise my answer about the To Go version as there is news about that which I missed:

The May 2019 update of Windows 10, also known as version 1903, will be the last Windows client operating system to have support for Windows To Go, Microsoft announced recently.

I will no longer write about To Go given it's end.

commented: This is what I wanted to know. Thank you! +0

thanks for the info, it was very informative.

commented: Still the question remains: "Do you have a cat?" +15

@Reverend Jim
no. i do have 3 cats.

commented: When I lose a thumb drive I blame the cat. +0

thats funny, but blaming your cat for you lossing a thumb drive is ridiculos.
if you lost your thumb drive, its your fault you lost your thumb drive.

If you want some bootable USB version of Windows it's not cheap. You want the "Windows To Go" version.

commented: Read up where I find this is no more. +15

Google bartpe windows 10 and check the results. There are several youtube videos on how to make a bootable Windows 10 PE USB.

what link would you recommend using to get some bootable USB version of Windows?

If you are looking for a Windows bootable system that you can customize you can try bart's PE builder. If you just want a bootable Windows PE system to access files on a bricked system (non-customizable) you could use Macrium Reflect Free and build a recovery boot USB. It gives you minimal tools but you can use a command shell and things like robocopy from the bootable environment.

I think I need to comment about BartPE. I could be wrong about the exact number of minutes but let's go.

1. BartPE does not give you complete machine support. You use it to "run" Windows in a limited fashion. Might find no support for WiFi, printers etc.
  2. For the versions I used, it would only run for 60 minutes then shut down.

Conclusion: This is not the Windows you may be looking for.

Now for most of us we just need a bootable OS to get at a crashed system's data. For that I gave up advice a few years ago about Linux since it fits on CD/DVD/USB-Sticks and for such use I contend we don't learn Linux. Quick read at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

• Restart your computer
  • Press F2/F12/DEL to enter BIOS
  • Set to boot from the SSD. You may need to disable secure boot control to be able to see the SSD as a bootable drive.

in some cases such as mine, you should just restart through the restart option on the bottom left and you will need to tap f8 for 10 seconds and then press the usb function key for 10 seconds and then my usb was bootable and then it gave me the option to boot from my usb and the windows loader i clicked the usb option and it booted me to the log in screen. if you can't apply my instructions, download a windows installation disc if you have a windows system. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
then after do f8 and the usb function it will either boot you to the log in screen or you will see a screen that says windows installation disc missing and then the usb option.
by the way you can replace utilman with cmd and use cmd to gain acess to users with forgoton passwords.

C:\
cd windows\system32
ren utilman.exe utilman.exe.bak
copy cmd.exe utilman.exe

This will navigate to the system32 directory, rename utilman.exe to utilman.exe.bak, make a copy of cmd.exe and name it utilman.exe.
press the key combination Windows Key + U or click the ease of access center and cmd will come up.

commented: How does this make the SSD bootable? -3

@rproffitt it makes the ssd (usb) recognized by the system, if its not recognized by the system you cannot boot through the ssd.

commented: Please read the OP's issue. The drive or PC has issues. This won't fix that. +0

@rproffitt
i did read it
you can't fix that issue, i have looked into it and did everything i could to fix the issue and nothing worked.

my alternetive method, is the best way to boot into laptops, with the issue.

commented: Still wonder about your cat or cats. +15

@rproffitt
what are you wondering about the cats? i think you mean you wonder how they are. but you could mean you wonder something else about them. if you mean you wonder how they are, the answer is they are fine.

commented: Thanks for sharing they are fine. Until now it was if they belonged to Schrödinger. +0

@rproffitt
ok, thats an intresting thought.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.