Unable to search from the address bar.

I just installed a larger hard drive and reinstalled XP.

Now when I try to search from the address bar I get the following message:"Service Unavailable - DNS failure. The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later."

I have checked under Tools/Internet options/advance and the correct "search" info is checked.

I have run Spybot, Adaware and AVG.

I have reinstalled Internet Explorer and installed all the updates.

I used the address bar alot to search using Google prior to the new installation. I don't want to install the google toolbar.

Also, it does not bring up the default MNS search.

I can use all aspects of the net and programs except for the address bar search.

Any ideas?

Try this and post back hijackthis log

Download 'Hijack This!'.HERE

Unzip (extract) it to a folder of its own.Like c:\HJT\hijackthis.exe , Then Doubleclick HijackThis.exe (in the new folder), and hit "Scan".
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, then Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. for hijackthis,most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

reboot computer and post a new hijackthis log

Got it working. Tried numerous fixes yesterday w/ no help but today, All is well.

Thought I had restarted after some registry tweaks so who knows.

Thanks for the posts.

Got it working. Tried numerous fixes yesterday w/ no help but today, All is well.

Thought I had restarted after some registry tweaks so who knows.

Thanks for the posts.

I was curious as to how you got it working... I am having the same problem...

Thanks!

Did you try to "Restore to an earlier date?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.