Hi.

I'm new here and I joined to see if I can get help with the following question. If you guys have any answers for me on which I should do, please try to be really detailed and not be extremely technical with your answers, because I'm not a big master on computers. That being said...

We have currently decided to switch from dial-up internet to DSL at my house. We ordered DSL and all of the parts came in, and we were able to start hooking it up today. I had everything hooked up until the part where I had to plug a cord in from the modem to the ethernet jack on the back of the computer. I then realized that there was no ethernet jack on the back of my computer. Therefore I went and bought a Dynex PCI Adapter that has an ethernet jack. I hooked up the adapter to the back of my computer, and restarted it. There is a disc that comes with it so you can install the drivers, but when I put the disc in nothing happened. I tried to install the hardware myself by going through the add new hardware wizard, but there was nothing to install under the name of Dynex.

My question is what do I do now? I cannot use my DSL until I figure out how to add and install the drivers for the PCI adapter. I will say my computer is a Windows 98SE, and is getting old. I am holding off on getting a new computer for a few months, but until then I'd really like to have DSL. The sound went out on my computer about a year ago and I had such a pain trying to install the drivers for that too. None of the discs I tried work, and I had to get deep down in the hardware to figure anything out. I'm sort of concerned about it this time though, because I don't want to be paying for DSL when I'm not even using it yet.

Thanks to anyone who can respond. It is deeply, deeply appreciated.

Jessica

Put in the cd go to Start - Run browse to your CD and click install or setup which ever it has.click OK and should intall what you need.

Thanks, but that didn't work. I already tried that.

It doesn't matter anymore because I did get it to work by changing my hardware settings.

Jessica

Glad you got it to work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.