I bought a HP Pavillion notebook a few months ago. Everything was going fine, but recently it takes it about 15 minutes to start up after shutting down, not to mention that there is a major lag while running any programs on it.

Also, my wireless adapter picks up signals and those that it used to connect to...it won't connect anymore. I cannot access the internet, it just tells me that IE cannot display the webpage even though it shows that I have a good connection. I've even tried using a LAN connection and it won't get the IP for it.

Here are some of the things I've already tried:
- Emptying Prefetch
- Running Ad-Aware
- Checking Task Manager and msconfig for suspicious looking programs
- Defragmenting about 10 times
- Clearing temp files
- Disabling firewall
- Checked registry
- Did system restore

I am clueless as to what's up, but if anyone has any more tips I'd be glad to hear them.

here some additional tips concerning your question.

Sounds like you have some stuff running which should not be running.

- Check for malware and spyware.

- Do you have more than one virus blocker, or more than one spyware blocker running simultaneously? That munches a LOT of time, because the blockers keep checking on each other.

- Check to see if you left a session recorder running (copies whatever interactions you do to a logging file).

- Is your startup tray choked with programs?

- Check for programs which installed themselves to run all the time.

- Is your hard disk almost full? If so, the system is looking for temproary file space.

- Defragment your hard disk.

- Your hard drive may be having read troubles. It could need a reformat.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.