I have a XP Home PC. While attempting to Ghost my old drive onto a new drive, I made several screwups and ultimately attempted more than three copies. My new drive starts to boot into Windows, but stalls and will not complete the bootup. I understand that XP has a copy limitation of three copies. If that is the case, am I screwed as far as Ghosting my old drive onto my new drive? Is there any kind of work-around solution. I have my original
XP Home system CD, but I would rather not have to completely build the new drive by loading all the programs, drivers, etc. Any good advice???

Thanks,
Steve

The fastest solution would be to rebuild your drive. It's nasty (read 'work') - but you will have a clean system again.

If you want to try the hard way :)
Did you try a 'safe mode'/'failsafe' boot?
You can also boot off of your XP disk, and enter the recovery console. Then try running a chkdsk.

The fastest solution would be to rebuild your drive. It's nasty (read 'work') - but you will have a clean system again.

If you want to try the hard way :)
Did you try a 'safe mode'/'failsafe' boot?
You can also boot off of your XP disk, and enter the recovery console. Then try running a chkdsk.

Belrog,
Thanks for the feedback. I may bite the bullit and just build the drive from scratch. My
original drive (60Gb Samsung) is six years old and I want to upgrade before the old one takes a dump.

Steve

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.