Hi.
I have a D-Link wireless adapter card that I am trying to use on my Win98 laptop. Card does work ok in WinXP laptop, ie. Router etc. is set up and working ok.
Feedback I am getting is that need W98SE for it to work............ but I want to avoid paying $50 to update just for this function.
I saw in another forum that may be able to use a WinXP driver vs the W98 driver to get it to work.
Anyone know about this trick?
Help.
Bob

The problem is that it never recognizes the PC card being plugged..... says no card found.
When I run the D-Link install program, it says "The NDIS.VXD.NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver(Code2).
When I try to update the driver, says best driver is already installed.
Btw - looks like WinXP has driver in Windows\System32 folder, while Win98 has it in Windows\System folder.
Bob

Give us the exact model # of the D-Link card please.

Yippy, yippy, after several days (I am both slow AND stupid, but I am persistent!), I have resolved my problem.

Basically the only thing that worked, and it DID work, was to replace the NDIS.VXD file on my Win98 system with a WinXP file.

Thanks for all your help.
Bob

Yippy, yippy, after several days (I am both slow AND stupid, but I am persistent!), I have resolved my problem.

Basically the only thing that worked, and it DID work, was to replace the NDIS.VXD file on my Win98 system with a WinXP file.

Thanks for all your help.
Bob

I am surely both slower and stupider. Which files did you replace, and how was this done? I am trying to solve this same problem 2 years later, with a d-link card, and the same NDIS.VXD.NTKERN.VXD error when trying to install the drivers, and far less technical savvy.

THanks much.

Hi.
Has been a long time since I did it..............so some brain cells have surely died.
What I believe the key thing I did was to replace that one file in the W98 computer with one COPIED from a WinXP computer.
Just do a Search (maybe is Find in W98) for that NDIS file and replace.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Bob

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.