:?: i have a m.s. lan card for my gateway laptop & i have a microsoft ms 700 wireless modem connected into my cable modem. ? is, once i have my software loaded into my desktop, do i have to install the software for my m.s. wireless modem into my laptop for it to recognize it? :rolleyes:

Do you know what underlying chipset that card uses? If you can find that out, then we can probably help out further.

Try searching Google for Linux to find that out-- while you're there, you might be able to even find out how to actually configure the device...

:rolleyes: dont exactly know what your talking about underlying chipset,but my gateway laptop solo 9300 model has a microsoft wireless lancard attached to it. i get a good signal, but can't get online. do i need to go in properties of my laptop lancard & select repair connection. also i would like to use my laptop at work w/ my wireless lancard instead of connecting my wired cable to the companies modem. i need to know how to go in & set my ip & gateway address from my laptop wireless card. can you help me? :)

...Moving thread to Networking. This seems the more appropriate place. Please specify what OS you are running, so others can assist you better.

Let me get a few details so I can fully understand what you are working with.

• What Operating System are you using?
  • The access point that you are trying to connect to is a Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station, correct?
  • Which Microsoft WiFi card are you using on the laptop? Please give me a specific model number.

Let me get a few details so I can fully understand what you are working with.

• What Operating System are you using?
  • The access point that you are trying to connect to is a Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station, correct?
  • Which Microsoft WiFi card are you using on the laptop? Please give me a specific model number.

windows xp pro on my gatway solo 9300. thanks but i figured it out on my own. simply studying the instruction guide. i simply had to go & enter my id into my wireless lancard by going into wizard setup that guided me right to it, pretty simple. thanks everyone for the help

i would like to know how to set up my wireless lancard, so i can use it away from home. tyied it at work about a mile away from my wireless router & got a poor signal & can't connect.

Wireless access points have a very limited range. The fact that you were able to get a signal at all from that range is amazing. Wireless networks are meant to be local solutions, not long-range solutions similar to cellphone networks. If you want to use a wireless connection away from home, you need to have a local access point to connect to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.