hello all! Anyone know how to count all the constraints in a given table? I'm new to stored procedure and need it to finish some work.

Well, primary key, foreign key, not null, unique, check clause, also sometimes triggers
etc. are or may define constraints. So which of them are meant?

-- tesu

Well, primary key, foreign key, not null, unique, check clause, also sometimes triggers
etc. are or may define constraints. So which of them are meant?

-- tesu

Every single one of them.

I see, all information on them can be found in MySQL's Information-schema tables (system tables, cataloge), for example, information on primary keys, foreign keys etc. is in table_constraints table.

select * from table_constraints;

Enough privileges?

-- tesu

I see, all information on them can be found in MySQL's Information-schema tables (system tables, cataloge), for example, information on primary keys, foreign keys etc. is in table_constraints table.

select * from table_constraints;

Enough privileges?

-- tesu

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Invalid object name 'table_constraints'.

forgot to mention, I'm using MS-SQL 2008

Sorry, this has been my mistake, I thought we were talking about mysql.
MS sql server has much more comprehensive system tables. You can get a good impression by downloading one of those great posters (such an originally colored poster of sql server 2008 is pinned on a wall in my office)

For example table sys.foreign_key_columns contains all foreign keys of a database..

-- tesu

Sorry, this has been my mistake, I thought we were talking about mysql.
MS sql server has much more comprehensive system tables. You can get a good impression by downloading one of those great posters (such an originally colored poster of sql server 2008 is pinned on a wall in my office)

For example table sys.foreign_key_columns contains all foreign keys of a database..

-- tesu

Thank you for your time and posts. I didn't fully understand what I was doing, but my real question is, How do you count the number of rows with constraints in a table. However, I've figured out a way to do that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.