I keep getting this error:

this application has failed to start because MFC80.dll was not found.

In the past, when I've got this error i've played around with "Runtime library", switching it from /MDd to /MD to /MTd......etc etc

then I turn off and on the manifest files

then I delete the manifest file

i keep doing these things until the error magically goes away. I am wondering if anyone can shed some high level light on what these things are and when I should have them set a particular way.

I cant seem to find a very good tutorial (mainly cause i didn't know what it would be called!) so if you just have a link for me i'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dave

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Depending on the compiler you are using you need to install the redistributable files that are found in your compiler's install directory. For examp VC++ 2008 Express files on my computer are here: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT

Apparently you are using an earlier version of the compiler. Copy those files into the c:\windows\system32 directory or some other directory that's in the PATH environment virable folders. Make sure not to overwrite files by the same name that's already in that directory because it might cause problems with other programs.

I am using VS2008. Turns out I was using a library that was using the 80 version of the file.
I used this
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

and it showed me exactly what the problem was! Highly recommended and free!!

Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

commented: Excellent :) +26
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.