Hello,
I know how to create a hash_map and use my hash function with it, but I don't know how to handle collisions. Specifically, how would I implement a chain/buckets with a linked list... it seems like it's built in but I can't find how to do it.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <ext/hash_map>
#include "d_hashf.h"

using namespace __gnu_cxx;

int main()
{
	typedef hash_map<string, string, hFstring> hash_class;

hash_class extensions;
	hash_class::iterator itr;

extensions["Test1"] = "HAHAHA";
	extensions["Test1"] = "HoHoHo";
	extensions["Test1"] = "HeHEHe";

for(itr = extensions.begin(); itr != extensions.end(); itr++)
		cout << (*itr).first << (*itr).second << endl;

cout << extensions["Test1"] << endl;
	extensions.erase("Test1");

if (extensions.find("Test1") == extensions.end())
		cout << "NULL" << endl;
}

Here's some example code, if anyone would like to see... What I'll end up doing is creating 1373 buckets to store 25,000+ dictionary words. I'd like to know how to limit the number of buckets to 1373 and implement chaining.

Why would you want to limit the number of buckets?

That's what the professor wanted....

The dictionary file “dict.txt” contains 25,025 frequently used words, each on a separate line in lowercase. Read the file and insert the words into a hash table with 1373 buckets. Use chaining for your collision resolution scheme (however, see extra credit below). Prompt the user for the name of a document (which should contain plain ascii text). Read the document, and separate it into a sequence of words converted to lowercase, where a word is defined by the function getWord. Using the hash table, output a list of words that appear to be misspelled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.