Hi,
I am goint to create a very large array but have this error when running this code

#include <iostream>
#include <limits.h>
#include <cstddef>
#include <cmath>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << UINT_MAX << " " << ULLONG_MAX << endl;
    cout << pow(pow(24,2),4) << endl;

unsigned long long int n = pow(pow(24,2),4) ;
    cout << n << endl;

double * p = new double (pow(pow(24,2),4));
    for (unsigned long long int i = 0; i < n; i++)
        p[i] = i;
    delete [] p;

return 0;
}

The running stops at i = 16895 giving

Debugger name and version: GNU gdb 6.8-debian
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

What's the ways to deal with large size array? I am not sure it C++ std library's various containers will work but I guess they might be too slow and not efficient, so it is slightly better to stick to normal array?

Thanks in advance!

Too big!! It's not reasonable to allocate that much memory, think of another way.

You've forgotten the [ ] around the array size in the initializer of p. Thus you are declaring p to point to a single double of value n. As you attempt to read memory past this first value you eventually get a segfault.

However, if you fix that problem, another will arise. You are asking to allocate 110,075,314,176 elements, each 8 bytes long, for a total of 880,602,513,408 or about 820GB. So unless you've got a terabyte of RAM you shouldn't run this program.

For that reason, a huge array is usually implemented as a "sparse array" (look that up).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.